[FRC] Laser pointer

Does anyone know if there are rules against having a laser pointer on your robot? We were thinking of putting one on to make it easier to launch the ball. Thanks

Ctrl+F search “laser” in the Game Manual PDF. There is exactly one result, which answers your question. :slight_smile:

R9, Blue Box D - Exposed lasers except Class 1 are prohibited. If you’re looking for a quick and dirty way to aim, might I suggest a flashlight instead? Much safer, both literally and figuratively.

We tried to use a Class 1 laser a few years back for visual targeting. It was totally useless and almost impossible for the driver to see. The flashlight idea works much better.

You could also try a crosshair laser Adjustable Cross-Hair Red Laser Module

It should be easier to see than a laser dot.

It was more an issue of it simply not being bright enough to see across the field in a well lit arena.

I believe that one of the criteria of being a class one “laser” is that it it’s invisible.

Also the cross hair linked above is a class 2 or 3 “laser” so it is not legal per saft rules. However I will keep it in mind when arming my sharks with “lasers”.

Due to the restrictions on Laser Pointers, teams have used “photon cannons” (basically, BRIGHT flashlights) with focused beams. Mind you, there are still rules against blinding the opposing alliance (you’re free to blind yourself).

Not really, class 1 limits output power and frequency so that protective gear is not needed when the device is in use. Many invisible lasers can damage sight i.e. the lasers used in most CD/DVD players which are infrared.
BTW, when deciding on illumination, please consider the effect on other drivers. If your choice is determined to interfere with the sight of other drivers, you might be asked to remove or modify.
R9 ROBOT parts shall not be made from hazardous materials, be unsafe, cause an unsafe condition,
or interfere with the operation of other ROBOTS. See the blue box.