FRC team 1690 Orbit 2020 robot reveal - "CHESTER"

Team 1690 is proud to introduce our robot for the 2020 season!

Check it out at ISR #2 and ISR #3 District Events

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Orbit1690/

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/orbit1690/?hl=en

Website - https://www.1690orbit.com/

69 Likes

This robot will dominate, no doubt about it

18 Likes

what are you using for vision? on the image you can see the limelight but on the video its looks like something else

2 Likes

Our design choices are very similar in many ways.

I’ll be very interested to follow your team this season.

1690 is going to have another great year in 2020.

5 Likes

Amazing machine, again!

1 Like

Can’t wait to see your robot in District 2! Looks fantastic as always!

Gorgeous. I love the use of the flip down roller to transfer the balls from your spindexer to the shooter column!

1 Like

We use a limelight, in our second bot the lights are dysfunctional so we use a green ring

2 Likes

I was super sad when 1690 didn’t get a banner last season with what was one of my favorite machines of the year. This robot is going to rival those of the biggest Einstein and Championship contenders out there. Really excited for you guys and I wish you the best of luck this season.

Hopefully at the end of the season you will have cool documentation you will share with the community. Is there a build blog, design binder, or anything of that nature in the works for releasing at the end of season?

4 Likes

The only words I have to describe my reaction to this robot are censored on CD.

This thing looks amazing.

10 Likes

Hell yeah. Great job.

This robot is awesome! Can’t wait to see it compete. How did you guys approach motor allocation when running swerve and a limelight? What is your motor breakdown?

• Swerve module rotation: 775pro (x4).
  • Swerve drive: Falcon (x4).
  • Ball pickup: Neo (x1) .
  • Serializer: 775pro (x1).
  • Ball organizer / Vertical conveyor / Climb mechanisms (rocker PTO gearbox): Falcon motor (x1).
  • Shooter wrist: 775pro (x1).
  • Shooter wheel: Falcon (X2).
  • Control panel: Neo 550 (x1).
14 Likes

I never thought a flip-out shooter like that could be so sturdy and precise.
Well done guys, your robot’s gonna kick some butt.

4 Likes

This is genuinely PERFECT。

1 Like

This is probably one of the most cleverly designed robots I’ve ever seen in FRC. I’ll be shocked to say the least if it doesn’t compete on Einstein. Would you care to share anymore about the gearbox shown at 1:32 in the reveal video? I’m mostly curious as to what it’s powering and how exactly it actuates to provide power to your climber (I think?). It appears that one set of gears is flipping across another and engaging with another gear powering a belt but that was all of the detail I could make out.

3 Likes

The shifter is designed to shift between 3 positions .

1. you can call it the natural state wich is when the dogbone is locked at the vertical position (powering the vertical conveyer system).
  2. when the dogbone is sifted to the “faster stage” (right gear in the picture Bellow) this happenss when we open the climber that is basically a controlled release of rope from the drum (the climber is spring loaded).
    And this is the stage that connects the power to the rope drum.
  3. after we reached the wanted hight of the climber and we are positioned to start the climb we shift to the “power stage” ( left in the picture Bellow) and now we start the climb.
    This stage is connected via pully to the 2nd stage.

And when we finished climbing the same piston that locked the dogbone at the natural position locks the climber.
IMG_20200131_003141|666x500

6 Likes

That’s amazing. What mechanism causes the dogbone to shift and how do you constrain it in the vertical position? If you’re willing/able to drop more pictures, I’d absolutely love to sift through them. This is the most innovative, compact design for a gearbox like this that I’ve ever seen. Your team should be very proud of the awesome robot they’ve created. I can’t wait to watch it compete.

2 Likes

We constrain it using a pancake cylinder that doubles as a locking mechanism–it pushes two brass pins, one of which goes into the small “dog bone” and holds it in place, and the other goes into a plastic plate that’s connected to one of the gears- thus locking the gearbox and preventing us from going down when disabled.
The movement of the motor itself is what causes the gears to shift, when the dog bone is engaged with one of the gears and starts rotating the other way, it pushes itself out and onto the other gear, engaging with it. When engaged, the rotation of the gear further pushes it into position, and we kept the gears in the correct center distance using small standoffs.
A small brass weight is used to equilibrate the dog bone and make the movement easier

Video showcasing the movement:

27 Likes