FRC Team 3357 - COMETS 2022 Robot Reveal - Atlas

Team 3357 The COMETS is proud to present our official robot for the 2022 season: Atlas!
Students and mentors will be on this post occasionally to answer any questions you may have – don’t hesitate to ask! The COMETS wish everyone good luck for the 2022 season!
~Presto ⊂((・▽・))⊃

Here’s our reveal video! COMETS 3357 FRC Reveal Video 2022: Atlas - YouTube

And some action shots from it:

47 Likes

Looks like some very neat and tidy engineering in there! Very awesome job COMETS, I’m looking forward to watching this team and machine compete.

4 Likes

Can definitely see the heritage of past COMETS robots. Looks speedy as always!

3 Likes

That is a sweet-looking robot! Middle picture is :fire: :fire:

Can’t wait to see it at Forest Hills in a week!

6 Likes

The slowmo drift shot at 0:38 is pretty dope.
Major props to the media team that put this together (as well as the rest of the team for a very solid robot).

9 Likes

Is that an Intel RealSense camera on the front? That is interesting. What are you using that for?

4 Likes

I can’t comment on what the camera is used for as I am not involved with 3357, but that camera is indeed a realsense.

Really clean robot! good luck this season 3357!

4 Likes

862 Human Player here, are you doing drafts?

/s

As @Connor_McBride confirmed, yes it’s an Intel Realsense.

Like I’ve seen in some of the other threads around here, we’ve been playing around with game piece tracking! If there’s any additional questions I’d be happy to defer to our programming students ^,^

4 Likes

What camera(s) was this video recorded on?

1 Like

We used a Nikon Z 50 (with a few different lenses), a GoPro Hero 10, and a DJI Ronin SC for stabilization :smiley:

6 Likes

Yup, as @its.presto said, it is an Intel Realsense along with a Nvidia Jetson as a coprocessor that we use for game piece recognition!

3 Likes

Awesome! Yeah our team has a realsense but hasn’t found a good use for it yet

3 Likes

Nice looking robot!

3 Likes

For sure! Let me know if you have any other questions!

1 Like

Ayy the middle is my fav too

Pumped to see you at Forest Hills!

2 Likes

I found your climb interesting, can you explain it in a little more depth?
Is the rotation of the non-extending arms motorized or does the robot just tilt from the weight?

I look forward to seeing another great 3357 robot at Calvin, just a few days from now.

2 Likes

Is the rotation of the non-extending arms motorized or does the robot just tilt from the weight?

Hey Juicestus, great question! Yes the arms are winch driven, and I can explain a bit more of the sequence here;
Our team’s climb uses the center of gravity of the robot in combination with the arm in/out winching actuation to angle the elevator extension plane correctly, which enables the elevator hooks to grab on the next rung. Then we retract the elevator to lift the bot off the arm hooks and reset for the next step.

This was heavily inspired by the Zhoukeeper Ri3D climber! Major kudos to them for figuring out the methodology.

A benefit is we do not need to be swinging to accomplish this, and all the swinging you see in the video is a byproduct of the 0th revision hooks that were painted to look nice ^,^ In actuality the swinging makes our sequence longer, so we’re actively working to damp that out as much as possible.

You too Joes!!