FRC Team 610 2020 Reveal: Megalodon

We are extremely happy to present our robot for the 2020 season: Megalodon

46 Likes

Awesome design! Love the vertical eboard

I’m not sure what 610 is better at; being an incubator for young engineers or video directors. Awesome robot and cinematography, once again.

42 Likes

Awesome reveal & robot! Excited to see what it’ll do at competitions.

1 Like

The students did an awesome job with the video this year.

On that note, one of our Alumni Jacob Kachura did an amazing job putting together a 20 year recap video for our team’s 20th year anniversary:

7 Likes

This year has been a fun and challenging build season as usual, really excited to see it on the field at Durham next weekend. Also thought I’d mention a couple neat things about the robot this year, the team really prioritized keeping things simpler this year. Some of the neat features are:

• Shooter hood with ~27 sets of rollers on it to reduce the backspin and to generate more forward velocity.
  • 4 sided shooter feeder with bevel gears.
  • Another great telescoping arm (the fifth one for the team I believe)
8 Likes

Crazy how similar our robots are and we are both competing in Durham. We are currently tackling the backspin issue you seem to of already solved!

Can’t wait to play with (and against) you guys this weekend!

Wow! Just Wow! This is the first reveal video I watched this year. It will be difficult to be impressed by anything else now…

Somehow, your cinematography really shows of the fine workmanship and gives me the same feeling as if I was watching a video of the movement in a fine watch.

It was very interesting to see how your team evolved over the last 20 years. The clip with you playing with Theory 6 and our friends, Torque, brought back some very good memories.

I am looking forward to watching the livestreams of your matches at the events in March AND April :wink:

1 Like

You guys found the extra backspin wasn’t necessary to prevent bounce out?

Not speaking for 610 but we are currently experiencing “too much” backspin which is hindering our forward velocity. Our hood should be providing a different arch then we are experiencing in real life and it seems the decompression of the ball at the muzzle of our shooter keeps the ball in contact with our wheel after losing contact with our hood. This causes it to have QUITE a lot of back spin and send the ball much more vertical then we would like. It has so much backspin that we hit the ceiling in our shop and it “rode” along the ceiling for a little bit before returning to the ground.

It’s not been that bad, the occasional shot from super close may pop out but we are overall getting more rage because of the increased energy transfer to the forward motion of the ball. It also doesn’t reduce the backspin so much that we are losing accuracy because the ball is knuckleballing.

1 Like

Also, we finally found a use for lunacy wheels! They were the most consistent shooter wheels we tested with before we switched to a custom machined plastic wheel of similar material. My theory is that the lower friction wheel worked better with the rollers on the hood to provide less backspin and a more consistent shot. Matt did some great testing that lead to this discovery for our shooter.

3 Likes

I noticed that your climber hook is not mounted perpendicularly with respect to where most robots would drive into the bar head on from. Is that so you can “passively” balance by starting at one end of the bar and having another robot climb on the middle of the other side, then driving forward until your robot lifts off the ground? How hard has your team found it to align to the bar with that hook orientation?

2 Likes

Yes

1 Like

You got that right. Its something that basically I (drive coach) asked for because its a matter of 4 retaining rings to change the direction of the hooks. It is a significant effort to line up to try and passively balance the switch. However from our practice it seems that if all you want to do is climb without caring about the level, then it is not too slow. We still have lots of other small things to figure out.

FWIW, our hooks currently are now “head-on” and we will try some more climbs this way. Time will tell.

Have you thought of perhaps making/using a hook that swivels so that you can drive straight on then make a 90 degree turn if you want to rebalance?

Yes, but that mostly just stayed a thought.

How did you attach the rollers to the hood? I didn’t see any hardware!

The rollers are just a bunch of spacers on 1/4 inch shaft. There are holes that go all the way along the supports on each side that go halfway through the 1/2 plastic so when you fasten the supports to each side of the shooter its holds the rollers in place. We decided to do this not only for weight but because having to remove 27 bolts, threaded rod or whatever else we could have used would have been a huge hassle and we generally designed the supports to be easily switchable mainly so we could experiment with compression and angle but also they are super easy to switch if they break.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.