FRC Team 68 Week 1 Blog Post

Truck Town Thunder will be documenting their build season this year and we would like to start with our Week 1 Blog Post.

http://www.trucktownthunder.com/1/post/2013/01/week-one-of-build-season.html

We know it is out a little late. We will be pushing to get weeks two and three out this Saturday.

Go Truck!

It’s better late than never!

It seems like you guys did a very thorough job going through your priorities. I’m sure lots of teams can learn from your blog. I’m looking forward to your next posts.

I’m curious, if you don’t mind saying, when you say that each member came up with a sketch of the basic robot design, how much variety was there? Did team members come up with very similar designs or were they completely different?

All in all, a job well done. Thank you for sharing.

-Kevin

We feel that it is important that everyone learns about Robot Design we feel that brainstorming is crucial. We also feel that everyone on the team should be included on this. Every idea is considered. One person’s idea could spur an idea for someone else and vice versa. Everyone has a different way of looking at a problem and you never know where the next great idea comes from.

As a leader, I strongly encourage the students to think outside of the box. I always throw in a drawing of mine where I draw something off the wall. The team decided to use my circular mecanum drawing as an example of that in the post.

There was quite a variety across the board. I did however notice that the more experience the students had on the team the more similar the sketches become. I think this reinforces the power of this exercise. The new students really come up with a lot of the “outside of the box” sketches. The climbing “climber” seemed to have the most variation overall. I also noticed that there was a lot of influence from previous games.

Very interesting. It certainly makes sense that the climber would have the most variety. Just looking on CD there seems to be more variety on the climber side than the shooter/intake side.

I wholeheartedly agree that everyone should be included in design discussions. Sometimes the best ideas come from our new members. It definitely seems like you had a great brainstorming session. I especially like how you guys read the rules before sketching out ideas. :wink: