FRC125 - The NUTRONs - INERTIA - 2020 Reveal

On behalf of all the NUTRONs, I’m proud to show you our 2020 robot - INERTIA

Like many other teams, this robot didn’t get to show its stuff on a competition field (yet) but I’m confident in saying its among the best robots Team 125 has ever made. We’re really proud of it and REALLY looking forward to draining buckets sometime soon.

As always, happy to answer questions and get feedback from the FIRST community!

-Brando

68 Likes

Amazing Robot as always
I’m curious. Those wheels. Custom or bought?

1 Like

Unreal robot… I think the big question here is why did you put the tower on the turret and not just the shooter?

5 Likes

This robot looks amazing!

I have to ask, what material is your wheel made of, and is it 3D printed? My team planned on using onyx wheels this year for our swerve drive, but the center bump was a concern for us. how did you figure out the design of the wheel to absorb the hits, and how well did it do in testing?

Great design!

1 Like

+1 more on the wheel question, what the heck are they?

1 Like

I can’t speak for 125, but my first assumption would be that it increases the consistency of feeding balls into the shooter, since they are always feeding into the critical part of the shooter the same way. If the shooter is turreted, then its possible for the balls to hit the shooter wheel at a slightly different angle which may impact your shots - I know a few teams encountered this in 2017.

13 Likes

I love the wheels. I’ve seen those kinds of wheels on big machinery and wondered if they’d ever find their way into FRC. Looks like they might! I always like seeing this kind of innovation.

I think it also has to do with keeping the center of mass low, as all the turret hardware along with the flywheel are heavy. By keeping all of that closer to the ground you lower your chances of tipping.

5 Likes

Nice bot!

Those are also some really cool wheels! How were they made and how did you guys come to the decision to use those wheels this year?

Love me some 3DP herringbone gears.

Any plans to keep the buddy climb?

Wow is an understatement! I am really excited to one day see it competing in person!

What are those custom wheels? Do you have notes on them as you iterated?

Also not 125 but this is the reason why 177 and 973 both turreted their towers in 2012 and why 177 did the same this year. Shots are easier to make more consistent when there’s less variability at play.

4 Likes

What song is used in the video? Awesome robot too

1 Like
1 Like

@Brandon_Holley and crew, beautiful machine this year with a bunch of details to dive into, will you guys be releasing more details about the subsystems this year? Would love to hear more about those custom wheels and the entire hooper - tower - shooter design. I see additive manufacturing is a huge part of your design process now, its really working for the team.

Congrats to you and the team on another great robot, Brando! Looks super slick. Hopefully we get a chance to compete with each other on the field this year. :wink:

1 Like

Brando and team,

Looks awesome as always, just wanted to thank you and your team for all the work you do with the robot and beyond, it’s always been a huge inspiration. I love all of the additive manufacturing pieces on this bot, y’all have taken it to another level yet again. Fingers are cross we get the chance to compete together later this year.

Dave

The brand name for wheels like those is Tweel by Michelin, however those sure look like they came from somewhere else. I haven’t found any smaller than riding lawnmower sized. Awesome job, 125!

1 Like