Free Hosting for teams!

Sorry for getting this out kinda late, Though I was trying to make some arrangements to offer help to teams who do not want to pay for any hosting fee. I know many teams are facing financial problems so MVRT would like to offer free hosting to any team that would like space without any ads or many restrictions.

There are currently two servers:
www.mvrt.org(also mvrt.com) <MVRT server
www.activemx.com < My server
both are equally reliable though my host has more to offer:D

these are the specs we will be able to offer.

• 50 megs (I thought this would be enough for all simple sites)
  • team.activemx.com
    or
    -www.mvrt.(com)(org)/team
  • mySQL database only on activemx.com
  • php, cgi, etc… on both…

some restrictions (sorry.)

• no videos (too much badwidth) sorry.
  • no banners or ads

so if your team would like to get some free space…
please email with team name, contact and server(activemx or mvrt) my email is [email protected]

Akshay Dodeja

Where’d you learn to program all those areas and make all the flash and all? I love the layouts, VERY nicely done. I’m just curious as to how long all the coding took for all the calendar scripts and everything, as well as graphic/flash design. It would really help us out with any info on learning flash you could supply us, as well as any programming ideas. Thanks. Again, EXCELLENT job on the site.

From what I have seen of the MVRT website’s backend, I think he took a number of publically availible scripts and modified them.

Its quite a bit easier than making them yourself.

I believe the person who made the graphics has now left us, so I’m not sure he can answer that question… MVRT uses only js/css for the mouseovers (I think)

If I were you (which I’m not… but anyway) I would suggest you just dive in and play around with PHP. (Provided that is the language you want to go with.) I use a PHP IDE (http://www.maguma.com/products/studio/studio_overview.php) which is basically like a glorified notepad with syntax coloring and lots of ease of use kind of things. PHP comes with pretty amazing documention online, so erm yah. Looking at other people’s code (“borrowing” as needed) really helped me get started.

Good luck whatever you decide to do…

I have done 3 years of PERL, and PHP is practically the same thing but simpler and more powerful. I just haven’t really dipped my feet into it yet. Do you have any recommendations about learning Flash/Actionscript?

PHP is simpler, powerful-er, and apparently faster. (probably because it isn’t as all-purpose. Haven’t seen too many side-by-side comparisons though, so I’m not sure how much of a performance difference exists) :wink:

As for Flash/Actionscript, I think the same general rules apply. Play around with code and you will (hopefully) figure out whats going on. I don’t touch Flash much because I hate it, but http://www.flashkit.com was suggested to me when I first tried to make Flashes…

Hope that is marginally helpful.

Actionscript reminds me a bit about C++ and Java but not overly much. It is relatively simple and straight forward. You have all your basic commands and it is just making them work. Just using the Flash MX tutorial was pretty good.

Chris

Originally posted by miketwalker
any info on learning flash

I am currently working on our team site (just emailed amx about the space offer) and I’m doing it in Flash. It looks pretty good so far and I am only using the knowledge I acquired in about 3-4 hours… I would recommend getting FlashMX. It comes with built-in tutorials that are excellent. They are easy to follow and you can start putting up a really cool site quickly. Also, look for Flash sites that you like and try to mimic them once you do the tutorials. I am basing the team 555 site off of www.beatstream.com. I like their concepts… I’ll post again with our new team address once I get it.

hm… well i dint even see this thread and the rookies from our team already replied… well im behind the MVRT website as you prolly noticed. Well yea HFWang is right that i used couple scripts.
The layout was made in Photoshop, coding was done using dreamweaver. I coded the calendar myself taking ideas from different scripts, thats what the free source is for. Though i used the the calendar script and a News script which can be found at www.cafelog.com, and customized it for our site layout. Btw… there is no flash on the website. I used javascipt for the navigation. Though i removed the VML because of compatibility reasons :ahh:.

AMX

wait. you use Dreamweaver to code PHP?!

*Originally posted by HFWang *
**wait. you use Dreamweaver to code PHP?! **

yeah, just an expensive text editor with color coding :slight_smile:

If anyone wants to check out our site (under construction), you can go to http://www.mvrt.org/team555 and test it out. I still have to finish it and add some buttons as well as work out some bugs with the sound… It is all in Flash and ActionScript with things that I learned from the Macromedia FlashMX built-in tutorials…

*Originally posted by Adam Shapiro *
**If anyone wants to check out our site (under construction), you can go to http://www.mvrt.org/team555 and test it out. I still have to finish it and add some buttons as well as work out some bugs with the sound… It is all in Flash and ActionScript with things that I learned from the Macromedia FlashMX built-in tutorials… **

Nice Flash-ery Adam. Very, very cool. I think you should make the height and width 100% of the page, though.

Thanks. I still have to improve on it but the problem with extending it is that each monitor is different so I would have to do it at 640x480 to fit on everyone’s monitor. In that case, it wouldn’t stretch to extents on say my monitor at 1024x768… I just reformatted my comp about a week ago so I haven’t reinstalled Flash yet but I’m going to so that I can fix the sounds. They are pretty cool when they work;) .