Free SolidWorks?

Does anyone know if you can download SolidWorks for free? I know inventor has a free student edition, but I’d like to try SolidWorks.

thanks
DB

You can email [email protected] and request a student copy, just make sure to state that you’re a FIRST student, and have used inventor, and would like to try Solidworks.

They sent me a copy within 3 weeks.

Thanks for your help.
I tried this.
And now i am wondering if you meant
[email protected] not
[email protected]

That is what is on their website.

Yeah, I meant Solidworks. Mybad.

If you don’t mind me asking how did you get the free copy of inventor?

-Dustin

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57877
this is where you can read about it

Autodesk gives 10 licenses of the latest version of Iinventor in the kit of parts, and that’s how i got it. Or if you are a college student, you can download it at:
http://students.autodesk.com as mentioned in the thread that Jeff 888 mentioned.

DB

I received a SolidWorks student edition with COSMOS DVD in the mail today.
It has been exactly three days since I sent an email request. Thats fast!
Thanks to SolidWorks!
Can’t wait to use it,:smiley: but i have to clean my hard drive so i can fit the extra 2.5 GB.:eek: .
DB

Is the disc they send you a student license (the $99 one which lasts for a 2?years)?

And SolidWorks is super sweet. I like it more than Inventor.

I think it is. The person from solidworks said “I will send you a one-year license of our Student Edition with COSMOS.”

But now that i’ve registered it it says “Your 2 year Student Edition software license includes core-modeling capabilities of SolidWorks 2006.”
And “Expiration Date: Sunday, June 28, 2009”

So that sounds like two years to me. I guess 2 is better than one!

If you don’t mind my asking what did you send in the email to SolidWorks. I just sent them one and wanted to make sure I got everything correct.
Thanks.

So the copies of inventor we get with the kit, do we get them before kickoff or on kickoff, since theyre downloads now? because it will take a few weeks before the administration can install them in a lab somewhere for us

This is a what i wrote in my email:
“Dear SolidWorks,
I am a high school student participating in FIRST Robotics. That is how I have gotten interested in 3D mechanical design. I have used Autodesk Inventor recently which i got for free from FIRST. I heard about SolidWorks because they sponsored a FIRST tournament.
Would it be possible to have a free student copy of SolidWorks? I’d like to try it out.
Thanks,
David”

burkey_turkey,
From what i read, I dont think they will let you download it until the kickoff.
Try the FIRSTbase website

This is a what i wrote in my email:
“Dear SolidWorks,
I am a high school student participating in FIRST Robotics. That is how I have gotten interested in 3D mechanical design. I have used Autodesk Inventor recently which i got for free from FIRST. I heard about SolidWorks because they sponsored a FIRST tournament.
Would it be possible to have a free student copy of SolidWorks? I’d like to try it out.
Thanks,
David”

Sweet, thanks for the reply on my question. I wrote something similar. Did they send you a reply or just ship it straight to you. I included my address in the email, because I’m not sure what to expect.

Thanks again,
Joe

i didn’t give them my address in the first email, so they replied and said “sure send me your address and ill send you a copy.” Then i gave them my address. Then i got the dvd 2 or 3 days later.

Hmmmm, well I haven’t heard anything back nor received anything in the mail. I know patients-patients…but I want it now! :wink: Well thanks again for your quick reply.

~Joe

Hello,

As a partner for FIRST, PTC is offering free copies of Pro/ENGINEER and Mathcad for your team…along with web-based training and video workshops.

If you are interested, you can register for a collaboration project to help manage your teams data. From the project, you can download your free copies of Pro/E and Mathcad.

Here is the link - http://frc.ptc.com/Windchill/FirstRobotics/FirstRobotics.jsp

For more inforamtion, please send an email to [email protected].

So I got my student version in the mail today and I’m freaking out! Thanks for all the advice. P.s. I also bought some text books and they came with a free download, the passwords are the same so I think this might just be a normal thing that solid works is doing. Heres the info.
Go to… www.solidworks.com/SDK2007 download it and use the SDK-ID D7150SDC.