[FTC]: FTC Rookie Team Grants

Today FIRST announced that all FTC rookie teams (with a few reservations) will receive a $500 grant that goes towards registration fees as well as part of your kit fees.

You can read more about it here.

FIRST announces significant funding for new FTC teams

As a result of generous contributions from several FIRST supporters, FIRST is able to announce an exciting new FTC Rookie Team Grant program for the 2013/2014 FTC Season. All new North American teams are now able to receive a $500 grant to ease their entry into the program. This grant will be applied to offset registration fees and to reduce the cost of purchasing the reusable robot kits used to compete. Go to http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/ftc/registration to get started.

FTC continues to grow rapidly due to its unique combination of real world engineering challenge, iterative robotic design, and robotic material options. Combined with FIRST’s value system, FTC offers students meaningful technical challenges while developing critical thinking skills that go far beyond the classroom.

Students, sponsors, universities and partners have recognized the unique value that FTC provides in getting students “into the game” with an exciting technology based competition and award system. The competition develops and rewards design, mechanical and electrical engineering, and programming skills – all in an environment where teams enthusiastically compete on the field while helping their opponents and communities.

Funding to make this Grant Program possible was generously provided by two anonymous long-term FIRST supporters and by the LEGO Foundation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What are the eligibility requirements for this grant?

A. To be eligible for this grant, you must register a new North American team with FTC. If you are the Coach of a veteran Team, you are eligible to start a Rookie Team, as long as you also register your veteran Team(s).

Q. How do I apply for this grant?

A. Eligible Rookie FTC Teams will receive the grant automatically. Simply create a user account in the Team Information Management System (TIMS) and register your new team, if your team is eligible the grant is automatically applied to your account.

Q. If I am a Coach of an existing team, can I start a new team and receive the Rookie Grant?

A. Yes, only if your existing team also registers and competes during the 2013-2014 FTC season. We will cross check team registration history to be sure everyone remembers to do this.

Q. If I create a Rookie FTC Team, do I have to compete at an event?

A. Recipients of the FTC Rookie Team Grant are required to participate in at least one FTC Tournament during the 2013-2014 FTC Season. Teams not competing in at least one tournament will be invoiced for the value of the grant.

This is big news! I’ve already received part of the grant for my rookie team, and this will certainly encourage growth of the program in my area.