[FTC]: FTC Rules Question - Shooting

Hi, I have a quick question regarding contact with opposing teams crates/crate stacks.

In the rules, we found that rule SG6 states:
“Making contact with an opposing alliance’s parked ball crate or stack while in its protected area and/or home zone is not allowed and will result in a major penalty(40 points).”

If we were to contact the opposing alliance’s crates with balls through a shooter mechanism, would this violate rule SG6?

Thanks!

You just said it yourself

If we were to contact the opposing alliance’s crates with balls through a shooter mechanism, would this violate rule SG6?

I know as a ref I would look through the rule book for that ruling, however I think the standing with most of the refs down here would probably said it would be contacted by your alliance, thus giving you a 40 point penalty. However I will talk with some people about this one to see if it would be considered “illegal”, but at first glance it seems TOTALLY illegal.

Here is what I tell teams who want to have strategies aimed at that.

“If the GDC put a 40 point penalty on it, they don’t ever want you to consider doing that.”

Hope this helps,

• Andrew

If you get any new info please tell!

Thank you!

I believe that is incorrect. The only time a team may be called for hitting an opponent’s crate while it is being carried is if the robot itself touches the crate. If the robot causes a field element to hit a crate, there should be no penalty unless field damage or robot damage results.

So is the rule implying direct contact (robot to robot) or any kind of contact that may be caused by the robot by manipulating field elements?

If you shoot balls at a crate in the safe zone, and it gets knocked down and it changes the score, im positive you will get a 40 point penalty or get disqualified (depends on the ref). ITS CALLED A SAFE ZONE, I wouldn’t mess with it. Its a good strategy, but its not worth the risk of disqualification.

You could probably get away with it, but would it really be worth it? It may be more worth your while to make a really solid arm or lift to out-score your opponents. If you bank too much on defensive strategy, you only have your alliance partner to score, and they may or may not be good. It’s a little risky with the refs, and risky on the field.
…We actually had the same idea, but decided against it. :smiley: