Full AM14U Long Chassis Inventor CAD

Hello! I am a member of rookie team 4904: Bot-Provoking. During build season we needed an accurate CAD model of the AM14U Long Chassis (23" x 32"). We couldn’t find a model in Inventor, and the square chassis model wasn’t released on Andymark until later in build season. So, we made our own. The model is accurate down to the machine keys (with the exception of the belts on the wheels), and has a total of 254 parts. The file is in Inventor Professional 2014 (sorry SolidWorks users). Uploading a .zip file of the assembly and its parts doesn’t seem to be working, so if you are interested please message me with your email and I will send it to you.

Disclaimer: The model is tilted. I can’t seem to fix it, but I think it is because Inventor is breaking under the stress of rotating and moving each part. This shouldn’t matter too much if you are only using this for CAD prototypes and designs for your robot. If anyone can fix this, please let me know.

I hope your team finds this useful. Please contact us for any further questions you have about this model.

What do you mean by “tilted”? Could you post a screenshot so I could see what you mean so I can try to help? I think I understand what the problem is, but I want to know for sure before I steer you down the wrong path.

We love all robots. Go to www.solidworks.com/FIRST. Download the zip file. You will find a complete model of the chassis in STEP format. Marie

Sure!
http://i.imgur.com/2z9BCid.png?1
This is a view from a corner, but you can see how the chassis is tilted vertically at roughly 35 degrees.

Okay! I am assuming all your parts are constrained together, but if they aren’t, then this will probably not work.

On the part browser on the right, open the folder named “Origin”, right click on the piece labeled XZ Plane and click on visibility. Then constrain a flat surface on the bottom of the chassis (or whatever you want to be parallel with the bottom of the space) to the edge on the now visible plane. This should make it parallel to the bottom, and then just undo what you did first to hide the work plane again.

Thank you very much for this advice! Unfortunately, we have already tried that. This doesn’t work for us as we have grounded the assembly by one of the motors, which is raised from the XZ plane. When we constrain a face it tries to move the model so that said face is on the XZ plane, but is kicked back by the grounded motor. We would love to know of a way to constrain a face to be parallel to the XZ plane without having that face be mated or flush with the plane. If you are aware of how to do this, we would appreciate your advice.

Thanks again for the help so far!

You could always un-ground the motor, constrain it, and then re-ground it!

You can also offset a face from a plane by typing in the value you want it to be offset by when you constrain it by clicking the three dots on the small menu that appears, which brings up the big menu where you can type in the value. (disregard the arrow, not my picture, but the offset box right above it.)

The next time you make an assembly you should right click on the first part you place and click “grounded at origin” so your assembly is in the right place.