Functional Changes at Competitions

Posted by Gary Bonner at 03/24/2001 7:33 PM EST

Other on team #433, Firebirds, from Mount Saint Joseph Academy and SCT Corp., FMC Corp…

At the Philly competition this morning (Saturday), an announcement was made in the pits that functional changes were not allowed to be made to the robot during the competition. I queried this and showed the announcer Raul’s 2/26 post of his discussion with Eric on this issue. His understanding was that changes could be made up until your first match, and after that you could only make repairs or changes that didn’t affect the performance of the robot. He said that if I wanted to question it further, I needed to talk to a judge, who sent me to a referee, who sent me to the head referee, who didn’t have time to talk to me. As a result, we didn’t do some tweaking that would have help our robot better fit its role in the elimination round. As it turned out, it didn’t matter, but it could have.

How is this issue been dealt with at other regional events?

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 03/24/2001 7:53 PM EST

Coach on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: Functional Changes at Competitions
Posted by Gary Bonner on 03/24/2001 7:33 PM EST:

I have never heard of this rule… Our team made a fairly significant design change to our robot (and refs, judges were aware of it). However, we did not add any parts – rather we made a new system from parts from an old system. This was at NYC…

I am aware of a rule that you can’t make any design changes in the 3-day period after the competition.

Patrick

: At the Philly competition this morning (Saturday), an announcement was made in the pits that functional changes were not allowed to be made to the robot during the competition. I queried this and showed the announcer Raul’s 2/26 post of his discussion with Eric on this issue. His understanding was that changes could be made up until your first match, and after that you could only make repairs or changes that didn’t affect the performance of the robot. He said that if I wanted to question it further, I needed to talk to a judge, who sent me to a referee, who sent me to the head referee, who didn’t have time to talk to me. As a result, we didn’t do some tweaking that would have help our robot better fit its role in the elimination round. As it turned out, it didn’t matter, but it could have.

: How is this issue been dealt with at other regional events?

Posted by nick237 at 03/24/2001 10:59 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

In Reply to: Functional Changes at Competitions
Posted by Gary Bonner on 03/24/2001 7:33 PM EST:

I too am unaware of this rule, after our disaster at the UTC we took our robot home and gutted it. we took every part that didnt work off and disgarded them. how would this fit into this NEW rule.
Nothing was ever said about changes in Hartford, are you sure you understood what they were requesting Gary as this could render many teams if not all in violation.
Every team who takes their robot home for the three days would make some sort of change and under this NEW rule would they have to disqualify them selves?
Interesting thought.
nick237

: At the Philly competition this morning (Saturday), an announcement was made in the pits that functional changes were not allowed to be made to the robot during the competition. I queried this and showed the announcer Raul’s 2/26 post of his discussion with Eric on this issue. His understanding was that changes could be made up until your first match, and after that you could only make repairs or changes that didn’t affect the performance of the robot. He said that if I wanted to question it further, I needed to talk to a judge, who sent me to a referee, who sent me to the head referee, who didn’t have time to talk to me. As a result, we didn’t do some tweaking that would have help our robot better fit its role in the elimination round. As it turned out, it didn’t matter, but it could have.

: How is this issue been dealt with at other regional events?

Posted by Gary Bonner at 03/25/2001 8:33 AM EST

Other on team #433, Firebirds, from Mount Saint Joseph Academy and SCT Corp., FMC Corp…

In Reply to: Re: Functional Changes at Competitions
Posted by nick237 on 03/24/2001 10:59 PM EST:

It wasn’t a new rule, but an interpretation of M19. It only applied during the actual competition–once you start competing, you can’t change your robot. Changes are allowed all day Thursday, Friday before your first match, and the three days after the competition.

I don’t think it’s the correct interpretation, but it’s what they said in Philly.

Posted by Nate Smith at 03/25/2001 10:47 AM EST

Other on team #66, Frostbite, from Willow Run High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Re: Functional Changes at Competitions
Posted by Gary Bonner on 03/25/2001 8:33 AM EST:

I would definitely have to say this is a misinterpretation of rule M19(in Update #3 for those of you having trouble finding it)…all M19 says is that you can’t make anything past whatever shipping deadline applies to you…it doesn’t say anything about a cutoff for making changes during a competition…however, elsewhere in the manual(not sure where right now, but I know it’s there,) it does say that if you make any substantial changes, you may be required to be re-inspected. The ruling made in Philadelphia may have been based on when the inspectors were available(i.e. as volunteers, they may have only been scheduled for Thursday, and Friday morning…) I dunno…

: It wasn’t a new rule, but an interpretation of M19. It only applied during the actual competition–once you start competing, you can’t change your robot. Changes are allowed all day Thursday, Friday before your first match, and the three days after the competition.

: I don’t think it’s the correct interpretation, but it’s what they said in Philly.