Fusion 360 & FRC in 2019

Wow, folder images + descriptions! Thanks for sharing all that!
–Chris

I’ve been talking with @chrisrin and we figured that it would be good for the teams using Fusion with FRC to collaborate more so we’ve decided to create a slack group. The group will be utilized to enhance everyone’s experience with Fusion and build on each other’s knowledge. If you’d like to join, please pm me your email so I can invite you.

EDIT: link to join - https://join.slack.com/t/frcfusion360/shared_invite/enQtNjY1NTI4NjI4NjE1LWRmZTcxOTc2OTgxODdkMjBlNjQ3OGY2MjRjMjE0OGU1NGNlNTgyOTFmMGZkY2EwOGNkZjNkOWRiNDlhZjNkZWM

1 Like

We’ve used Fusion 360 exclusively for the last couple of years. Here’s what we’ve learned:

1. Sketches are your friend, use them for any measurements you care about.
  2. Sketches are great for early prototyping and calculating dimensions (e.g. can we get our elevator to reach the goal?)
  3. We did all of our modeling work in subsystems and our complete robot design had no actual work in it except for assembling the subsystems together with rigid joints
  4. Rigid groups are more performant than rigid joints (and they don’t clutter up the model)
  5. Certain constraints have big performance hits (I’m looking at you, symmetry constraint)
  6. We created a separate account for the robotics team, and originated all projects from that account and share it out to our CAD users. There’s no good way to transfer ownership of a project, and you don’t want your CAD projects owned by a student account after they graduate.

Bonus tips:

• Try to keep your history fairly clean and uncluttered. If there are features you don’t need anymore, delete them.
  • User Parameters can be helpful for important dimensions like robot dimensions, wheel diameters, bolt/rivet hole diameters, etc.
2 Likes