FusionEdit v0.1

I’ve only posted a couple times during build season and I’ve been pretty inactive on Chief Delphi during off season, but bear with me.

SVN was really difficult for my team last year, even though we used a decent utility. We were constantly resolving conflicts, waiting on other people to finish building, and trying to tell SVN that we actually didn’t want to resolve conflicts in the .MSW file. :frowning:

Anyway, a couple months ago I decided to start coding a free alternative to the MPLAB IDE, called FusionEdit. The killer app would be a sweet SVN system that allows multiple users to work simultaneously on the same file, letting them see each other type in real-time.

Now, several months later, the first beta is done. No real-time typing, but it’s getting close.

Attached is the installer, which includes documentation in the start menu folder. Let me know what you guys think! :smiley:

[edit] Application requires .NET Framework 2.0](http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en) or higher.

FusionEdit.zip (1.12 MB)

FusionEdit.zip (1.12 MB)

Also, there’s a freely available collaborative editor called Gobby here: http://darcs.0x539.de/trac/obby/cgi-bin/trac.cgi

It’s supposedly very good, I haven’t tried it yet, I plan to tonight.

You beat me to it! :smiley:

I started working on something similar a few months ago!
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45934&highlight=first+IDE

Would you be willing to let me see a copy of the source?

Sure thing, I don’t want to release the source publicly quite yet, it’s just a wee bit ugly. :slight_smile: If you want to PM me your email address, I can send it to you. I’d put it up on a free host, but I’m having problems with my internet filter. :frowning:

If you need a place to host it I can get some space on my teams site.

If you want a good colloborative editor get yourself some macs, and use SubEthaEdit. Realtime live editing using the standard Bonjour network. It is an awesome application, that has access permissions and other such things, it can be hosted as a general server, and then let other people access it. Then when it is saved, one can script it using Apple Script to auto check the new source code into svn, and then you can check outa copy on a windows machine with MPLab and compile it.

Also, tell SVN to just ignore certain files. With SVNTortoise you can do this easily. It will from then on not care if a file has been changed or not.

I haven’t used it yet, but from the looks of it, nicely done. These are the exact features I am looking for. Thanks.

Can you post a screen shot?

@X-Istence: I realize there are more than one collaborative IDEs available. The idea was to write an IDE specifically for FIRST that other people can modify and/or make suggestions. With this post, I wanted to introduce the idea and open the floor to suggestions.

This thread has some good ideas.

This has some other info that could be helpful.

Awesome!

Make it work like this http://www.sourceinsight.com/ and you will have a great product!

You should try to figure out how to make collapsable regions… Like in Visual Studio

Collapsible regions and syntax highlighting are on my to-do. :slight_smile:

I forgot about SourceForge, which my filter doesn’t block. I’m waiting approval of the project right now.

@bear24w: jpg attachments are limited to 100 kb, so it’s low quality, but you get the idea. :wink:

FusionEditServer.jpg

FusionEditServer.jpg

Your code isn’t that ugly. It has a few bugs, but not bad. I may be able to help with syntax highlighting. That is one of the things I was able to make work with my FRC IDE. :smiley:

I think it might be beneficial if we join forces to try to get a working version of this as soon as possible. :smiley:

Oops i knew there was something I was supposed to be working on

I would also like to help out with the project some. either when you have it on sourceforge or if you could email me w/ with(just send a PM and ill send you my email)

Oh wow, that looks really clean and really nice… if you can get customizable syntax highlighting and collapsable regions i will defiently being looking into using this

Being a .Net programmer myself I would defiently like to see a sourceforge project go up!

Awsome job

The code is very clean, but could use some more comments. :slight_smile:

As soon as the SourceForge site is up, I’ll let you guys know and you can join. I know three other people on my team who might be willing to help out as well.

EHaskins, would you allow me to see some of your code?

I’m not at the computer with that code and I’ll be out of town for about a week, but, I don’t have any problem with that. :slight_smile:

Sorry I can’t get it to you faster.

Hi,

I’m glad that you are undertaking the work to get a quality IDE working for FIRST. However, I’m confused about a couple of things.

Why are you writing an entirely new program when you could create scripts or plugins for one of the incredibly functional editors already out there? (VIM, EMACS, Eclipse, jEdit etc.) Not that I have a big problem with another editor, but it seems like you’re reinventing the wheel a little bit here.

Also, why .NET? That leaves out a significant userbase of Linux and Mac users. Then these users will have to duplicate the fine work you’re doing on the Windows platform if they want similar functionality. See the problem?

Again, please take these as suggestions, not angry demands.