G14 & a difference between start & end of match

<G14>

When the MATCH ends, each TRACKBALL is at least partially supported by the

[LEFT]OVERPASS and not in contact with any ROBOT of the same ALLIANCE will earn a 12 point
bonus.[/LEFT]

Then we have in Section 6.2.2 on pages 5 & 6:

[LEFT]The OVERPASS structure extends across the minor axis of the TRACK. The OVERPASS is

[LEFT]constructed of 1-1/2 inch O.D. steel pipe and connecting hardware. The OVERPASS is supported
by three vertical supports – one at each end, and one in the center (the center support is also part
of the LANE DIVIDER). The vertical supports rise above the horizontal portion of the OVERPASS,
to a total height of eight feet and four inches. This is to help prevent TRACKBALLS from rolling off
the OVERPASS and exiting the arena, or rolling across the center of the LANE DIVIDER. The horizontal portion of the OVERPASS is 6-1/2 feet above the floor. The rails of the OVERPASS are
spaced 32 inches apart (center to center). On each side of the OVERPASS, a series of spacer
bars define three TARGET LOCATIONS on the OVERPASS. The TARGET LOCATIONS are sized[/LEFT]
to allow the TRACKBALLS to rest within them.

[/LEFT]

[LEFT]
And then of course, G20

<G20>

TRACKBALL Locations - After all ROBOTS participating in the MATCH are in their starting

positions and the TEAM members are in the ALLIANCE ZONE and/or ROBOCOACH

[LEFT]STATIONS, four TRACKBALLS will be placed on the OVERPASS. On each side of the
OVERPASS there are three TARGET LOCATIONS for TRACKBALLS. The field
management system will randomly choose an initial starting location for the TRACKBALLS
before the start of each MATCH. One red and one blue TRACKBALL will then be positioned
in the chosen TARGET LOCATIONS on each side of the OVERPASS. After this point in[/LEFT]
time no ROBOT may be moved or repositioned until the MATCH starts.

At the start of the match the balls will be randomly placed on the Overpass but it doesn’t say anything about them being placed solely in the Target locations. [/LEFT]

In Section 6 on page 5 we can plainly see in the picture the possibility of 7 different places (on each alliances side) the balls can rest in. (3 large spots, and 4 smaller ones)

Will the Starting condition only have balls placed in the 3 TARGET LOCATIONS, or all 7 open spots??

Will a ball in either of the 7 spots be counted at the end of the match?

I think four of those spots don’t count, they don’t look like they are the same size and I would guess the balls would only be placed in the 3 target locations at the start and end of the match.

I agree they’ll be in one of the target locations for the start… but at the end they’ll be where ever the robots put them, and it doesn’t matter if its in a starting location or not, so long as it’s supported by the overpass and not touching a robot on your alliance.

From what I read, I believe this one to be true. 3 static starting postions, and anywhere on the Overpass at the end.

I would like to see a clarification of my interpretation of this though just to be 100% certain.

Elgin,
Have you tried posting in the Q&A thread?(http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61080)
That should provide the clarification that you are looking for.

The way that I understood these rules was that the trackballs just have to be placed on the overpass at the end not specifically in one of the 3 starting positions.

Nope. Not yet. I just wanted to get some opinions of the rule before I (or someone else for that matter) posted it. I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing anything blatantly obvious before asking FIRST. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies.

Next stop, Official FIRST Q&A Fora.
(With this and about a million other questions I’m sure as the year progresses… :ahh: )

Yes, it does.