<G42> Protection While Hurdling?

I plan on going to the Q&A with this, but until I can get ahold of our TIMS contact, I’d figure I’d ask to see how others interpret this.

[SCENARIO]

REDABOT is hot stuff at the 2008 DEKA New England Regional. His unique hurdling mechanism allows him to race around the track, setting HURDLING records, to be touched only by the Beatty Beast. A unique system allows this fast Hurdling, of which a vital component is whizzing around the track and NOT stopping at the OVERPASS, to allow an increased TRACKBALL velocity.

As Thursday turns into Saturday it becomes apparent that REDABOT is on the fast track to win the 2008 DEKA New England Regional. BLUEABOT finds himself matched up agains the mighty REDABOT, and has read the rules many a time. However, as this is David vs. Goliath, BLUEABOT takes an uncoventional approach.

BLUEABOT decides to place himself directly in the line of fire, between REDABOT and the OVERPASS. If REDABOT slams into BLUEABOT in an attempt to HURDLE, who is penalized? Both? Neither? One or the other? For what infraction? What if REDABOT changes his approach, in order to bypass BLUEABOT? What if REDABOT changes his course of approach, only for BLUEABOT to move to obstruct this course? Please note that in last two cases, contact has not yet occurred, and may not occur.

[/SCENARIO]

Do you think REDABOT is afforded the protection of <G42> in this case? And is REDABOT protected from <G37> Part A (aka no high speed ramming) if he contacts BLUEABOT in an attempt to hurdle?

Really Interesting scenario here…

I would have to say that REDABOT would not be afforded the protection for hurdling because he is the one racing around the track and if he needs to get to the overpass, he would bump BLUEABOT and signal to pass. Say, that REDABOT did indeed slam into BLUEABOT, I believe REDABOT would be the one penalized for intentionally ramming into the other robot at a high speed.

I would like to see what other people say.

Staying stationary will probably never be considered overt, blatant, or aggressive. As far as the high speed ramming, I’d call it much like a foul in the lane in basketball. If the defender has his feet planted and you can’t control yourself enough to not hit him, then it’s your own fault, and you can be penalized, but if he’s moving such that you have no choice but to hit him, then he just has to take his lumps, and depending on the aggression of the move, possibly a foul.

It can be a violation of <R40> impeding traffic depending on whether on not there is an open lane. I would contend that putting the brakes on directly infront of a fast traveling robot would be called this way. But if the hurdler is that good they should be able to go around the stationary bot anyway.

If Bluebot moves into the way of speedy Redbot, that is impeding. It’s his own fault if he gets creamed when Redbot can’t stop in time.

If Bluebot takes up a position that does not block all paths of Redbot, then it’s Redbot’s fault if he slams into Bluebot anyway.

I’m with Gary on this one. If Blueabot moves into that path, it’s impeding, -10 points for Blueabot. If Redabot has other paths and doesn’t take them and slams into Blueabot, that’s high-speed ramming, -10 points for Redabot.

Redabot IS protected while hurdling, yes. However, Blueabot has simply made it more difficult for Redabot to hurdle and doesn’t even have to touch Redabot. So, if Redabot contacts Blueabot deliberately (to try to get the penalty to Blueabot), no penalty, unless it’s on Redabot for ramming.

Gary and Eric are both right

Lets say that Redabot is traveling roughly the same speed directly behind Blueabot. There are all kinds of open lanes. As they get close to Redabots’ finish line and Redabot begins to raise the Trackball to hurdle, Blueabot hits the brakes, Redabot slams into Blueabot and loses the Trackball. Are the rules written so that Redabot should have had a clear distance between it and Blueabot (Redabot gets raming penalty), or are the rules written so that Blueabot gets a penalty (for either impeding or G42)? I would like to think that Redabot would get the penalty, there are other open lanes. But then again (sorry, rule book is at the shop and I can not quote), by slaming on the brakes in front of another robot causing them to get a penalty are you in violation of the rules similar to pushing them into a quad behind them? Or would this be called normal interaction between robots with no penalties (assuming neither robot gets damaged).

I’m going to say no penalty in this; Blueabot forced Redabot into a penalty situation. (<G23>)

I believe that Bluabot is impeding in that situation and would get penalized as such if it was that flagrant. It sounds like a good Q&A question to ask Aiden how he will have the refs call it.

That, or impeding by Blueabot.

Yeah, I was thinking that was the other option. No penalty for Redabot for sure.

Note that there’s a difference between IMPEDING (given in the definitions) and the action of IMPEDING traffic (as described in <G40>). Merely IMPEDING is not enough to draw a penalty. IMPEDING traffic is penalized, but your robot is explicitly not IMPEDING traffic if there’s room to pass around it.

I’m not concerned by BLUEABOT impeding traffic. I don’t think he is becuase REDABOT has clear paths around him.

Remember, part of the deal REDABOT needs to be moving quickly in order to HURDLE (he needs the forward momentum to impart to the ball). So REDABOT needs to chose a course as he makes his way past the LANE DIVIDER. He needs to line up and shoot a straight course.

BLUEABOT can take advantage by moving in the way of this. Will Aidan consider this to be impeding? When you’ve only got at most 4 seconds to line up for a straight shot, I’d imagine it’d be nearly impossible to avoid BLUEABOT if he’s determined to be in the way. I think part of the issue may be whether or not the GDC will consider moving the robot to increase the force we can impart on the ball as a necessary part of HURDLING.

I plan on asking the Q&A as soon as I get ahold of our TIMS contact.