Gadgeteer Data Cable to 3 Pin PWM

Hi all,

Those who saw my last post know I’m in a bit of trouble. Unfortunately, I am now in even more trouble. My jankly soldered cable between my CTRE Hero board and Spike Relay is now broken, as well as my last Hero board.

My question for all of you who have worked with such a device is how do you interface the Hero board with devices that don’t have a CAN bus interface?

Let me explain for those who are confused. I need this cable to transform into this cable for a Spike Relay, as well as other PWM applications like LEDs.

As of now, I have been soldering the individual wires to a PWM cable, and this is incredibly delicate and difficult. What other approaches have you guys used?

Thanks,
An even more concerned programmer

Is this what you’re looking for? The pads make soldering the PWM side easier.

You may also find these relevant:
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/pt1inconnectors/pt1in_srsh40/
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/pt1inconnectors/pt1in_ft/
http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/pt1inconnectors/pt1in_1x1/

1 Like

Ben,
I am not sure what you are trying to do. The Spike relay uses a standard PWM cable for control but it is not a PWM signal. The Spike relay uses a switched DC control. One pin controls one of the relays and the other pin controls the second relay. This way they can be turned on or off independently. Both can be on and both can be off at the same time too. When a Spike is connected to the RoboRio it must use the relay outputs not the PWM outputs.

3 Likes

Sorry for the confusion. I simply need a hardware solution for connecting the PWM cable to the Gadgeteer data cable.

Page 9 of the hero use manual has the pinouts (which signals are on whixh pins of which connectors) for all their 10 pin connectors.

It’s not clear to me what you’re trying to do ultimately, and simply saying you want the two cables to connect to each other isn’t enough info to send you down the right path.

Do you actually intend to connect your spike relay module to the hero, or do you actually want to connect a device that takes in a PWM signal?

As Al pointed out, while the spike uses a cable that is identical to the ones that can be used for PWM motor controllers, when used I’m FRC it gets plugged into a Relay port on the RoboRio, which doesn’t output a PWM signal.

What’s your ultimate goal / what do you want to be able to do with the cable?

If you’re trying to wire to a PWM device to the Hero, pins 7-9 on the P port look promising.
If you’re trying to wire to a spike relay to the Hero, GPIO might work for you? But I’m not sure the logic levels of the gadgeteers GPIO are going to be compatible with the spike since the Hero GPIO pins appear to output 3.3v for a logic high.

The control lines are in fact 5 volt logic but the voltage input to the Spike must be 12 volts.

One thing we have done, is put the non-CAN devices on the CAN bus using a CTRE CANifier board.

2 Likes

I’m not referring to that inout voltage, but rather the signal sent to the spike to control it.

My goal as of now is to find a better way to connect a Hero board to a Spike. I have been using the gadgeteer ports, and have been soldering the signal cable of a pwm to the desired pin. This allows me to use the gadgeteer outputs on a three pin cable, which I have been calling a pwm cable. I appreciate your attempt to comprehend this :smile:

Thanks for the help everyone! Sorry to those I confused. I understand that the spike does not rely on a PWM signal; instead, I was referring to the three pin cable commonly used for pwm. Thanks!

You still haven’t described what you’re trying to accomplish ultimately. You say you want to control a spike, presumably to switch a DC signal to some downstream device. If you can describe what load you want to turn on/off we may be able to suggest a better/complete solution for you.

I don’t have a datasheet for the spike. But I’d be willing to guess it’s not going to be able to be controlled from the DIO output channels since the Hero puts out 3.3v (I don’t know how much current the spike requires nor how much the Hero can source, so that could also be a problem between the two devices).

I linked to the pinouts for the hero ports above.
I believe the spike pinout for the PWM-style cable usually has ground on black, and then the two digital outputs are on the white and red pins. You’d want to wire these to digital output pins on your port of choice on the Hero…

But it’s probably not going to work for reasons stated above.

If you really really needed to make the spike work… You need to use the Hero’s 3v3 output signal to switch a ~6V signal that then goes into the spike. A transistor on each of the digital outputs would likely be able to accomplish this for you… But you’d need a 6V source… Just seems like a lot of effort to just control two relay outputs…

Not knowing what you’re trying to do, it makes more sense to me to just use a cheap relay board that will work with a 3V signal (what the hero is generating). Something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XGZSYJV (these are just the first ones I found, I’m not recommending you buy from this seller or this specific board - shop around) …

3v minimum, 4ma. https://team358.org/files/programming/ControlSystem2009-/spike-blue-guide-sep05_PLUS.pdf

Interesting… :thinking:

For some reason I had it in my head that the relay channels ran at 6V for the spike. But that doesn’t appear to be the case, not sure why I thought that: https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/374474a/page/download.html#

So you should be able to wire two DIO pins on the Hero to the white and red pins on a PWM cable respectively. Gnd to Gnd (on the black wire on the PWM cable).

Output high/low signals on those two Hero output channels per the table in the spec sheet Joe linked to turn change the states of spike relay outputs

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.