Game Manual - Team UPDATE - 2014-03-04

http://frc-manual.usfirst.org/Updates/0#term 172

root
Game Manual
Section 2: The ARENA

Section 2.2.3: The GOALS

Note: In order to help minimize the chance of a BALL bouncing back out of a HIGH GOAL, we have modified the structure, as noted below in the update to Section 2.2.3.

Each ALLIANCE has two (2) HIGH GOALS located above their opponent’s ALLIANCE WALL. The HIGH GOALS are 11 ft. 6 in. wide and 3ft. 1 in. tall with the bottom edge of the opening located 6 ft. 10 ¾ in. above the carpet. The outside edge of each HIGH GOAL is semi-circular with a radius of 1 ft. 6 ½ in. The HIGH GOALS are separated from each other by a 1 ft. wide divider.

Horizontal pipes are installed behind the bottom of each HIGH GOAL to prevent SCORED BALLS from dropping directly on DRIVERS. These pipes are covered in ¼ in. clear polycarbonate sheet.

The perimeter of each HIGH GOAL is surrounded by Phillips Color Kinetics iColor Flex LMX LED light strings. The LEDs have several states that indicate GOAL status:

Section 3: The GAME

Section 3.1.2: MATCH Logistics

If the Head Ref determines that a BALL is becomes damaged or completely deflated, it will be replaced by a new replacement BALL of the same color will be delivered to one of the ALLIANCE’S HUMAN PLAYERS at the next safe opportunity. Once the new BALL enters the FIELD, the damaged BALL is invalidated, considered debris, and can no longer be used in MATCH play.

Section 3.2.6: ROBOT-ROBOT Interaction

Note: We have made a modification to G28 to indicate that the ROBOT committing the foul must have initiated the deliberate or damaging contact. We also clarified that the contact must be on or inside a vertical extension of the FRAME PERIMETER. The rule was already being interpreted this way with regards to the vertical extension, we just wanted to be clear.

G28

Initiating deliberate or damaging contact with an opponent ROBOT on or inside the vertical extension of its FRAME PERIMETER is not allowed.

Violation: TECHNICAL FOUL

High speed accidental collisions may occur during the MATCH and are expected. ROBOTS extend elements outside of the FRAME PERIMETER at their own risk; no penalties will be assigned for contact between two such extended elements.

A ROBOT with an element outside its FRAME PERIMETER may be penalized under this rule if it appears they are using that element to purposefully contact another ROBOT inside its FRAME PERIMETER. Regardless of intent, a ROBOT with an element outside its FRAME PERIMETER that causes damage to another ROBOT inside of its FRAME PERIMETER will be penalized, unless the actions of the damaged ROBOT are the catalyst for the damage.

Section 3.2.7: Human Actions

G31

Strategies employing TEAM member HUMAN PLAYER actions to inhibit ROBOTS are not allowed.

Violation: TECHNICAL FOUL.

G32

Strategies employing TEAM member HUMAN PLAYER actions to deflect opponents’ BALLS are not allowed.

G38

TEAM members HUMAN PLAYERS may not pass the BALL to a TEAM member HUMAN PLAYER in another HUMAN PLAYER AREA (passing the BALL within an ALLIANCE STATION or HUMAN PLAYER AREA is permitted).

Violation: FOUL

Note: We have made a modification to G40 as a compromise between a desire to mitigate the volume of G40 penalties incurred at Week 1 competitions and the fundamental objective of never allowing ROBOTS and Humans to occupy the same space at the same time during a MATCH. While this adjustment offers some reprieve for HUMAN PLAYERS who reach beyond the SAFETY ZONE during a MATCH, it maintains the SAFETY ZONE between the ROBOT and the HUMAN PLAYER when both are in the same area and stress that HUMAN PLAYERS prioritize safety and avoid the space unless necessary.

G40

During the MATCH, TEAMS may not extend any body part

in to a space defined by the Human Player Barrier Brackets, the SAFETY ZONE, and the GUARDRAIL that is either occupied by a ROBOT or adjacent to such a space occupied by a ROBOT
or,
beyond the GUARDRAIL at any time. into the SAFETY ZONE during the MATCH.

Figure 3-7

I can’t wait for week 2 events now, should be a bit better.

Goal fixes, G28 fixes, G40 fixes. I’m happy now.

So if I’m understanding this correctly…
We can drive aggressively and damage caused to say, intakes that are extended are not a cause for penalty? If I drive into a bot with it’s intake extended while playing hard defense and it tweaks their intake, that is no cause for a foul?

Does 1/4" clear polycarbonate refer to thickness?

I added some formatting to make it easier to see the changes:

Game Manual

Section 2: The ARENA

Section 2.2.3: The GOALS

Note: In order to help minimize the chance of a BALL bouncing back out of a HIGH GOAL, we have modified the structure, as noted below in the update to Section 2.2.3.

Each ALLIANCE has two (2) HIGH GOALS located above their opponent’s ALLIANCE WALL. The HIGH GOALS are 11 ft. 6 in. wide and 3ft. 1 in. tall with the bottom edge of the opening located 6 ft. 10 ¾ in. above the carpet. The outside edge of each HIGH GOAL is semi-circular with a radius of 1 ft. 6 ½ in. The HIGH GOALS are separated from each other by a 1 ft. wide divider.

Horizontal pipes are installed behind the bottom of each HIGH GOAL to prevent SCORED BALLS from dropping directly on DRIVERS. These pipes are covered in ¼ in. clear polycarbonate sheet.

The perimeter of each HIGH GOAL is surrounded by Phillips Color Kinetics iColor Flex LMX LED light strings. The LEDs have several states that indicate GOAL status:

Section 3: The GAME

Section 3.1.2: MATCH Logistics

If the Head Ref determines that a BALL is [strike]becomes[/strike] damaged or completely deflated, [strike]it will be replaced by[/strike] a new replacement BALL of the same color will be delivered to one of the ALLIANCE’S HUMAN PLAYERS at the next safe opportunity. Once the new BALL enters the FIELD, the damaged BALL is invalidated, considered debris, and can no longer be used in MATCH play.

Section 3.2.6: ROBOT-ROBOT Interaction

Note: We have made a modification to G28 to indicate that the ROBOT committing the foul must have initiated the deliberate or damaging contact. We also clarified that the contact must be on or inside a vertical extension of the FRAME PERIMETER. The rule was already being interpreted this way with regards to the vertical extension, we just wanted to be clear.

G28

Initiating deliberate or damaging contact with an opponent ROBOT on or inside the vertical extension of its FRAME PERIMETER is not allowed.

http://i.imgur.com/gBS0Zvu.png

**Section 3.2.7: Human Actions
G31

Strategies employing TEAM member [strike]HUMAN PLAYER[/strike] actions to inhibit ROBOTS are not allowed.

Violation: TECHNICAL FOUL.

G32

Strategies employing TEAM member [strike]HUMAN PLAYER[/strike] actions to deflect opponents’ BALLS are not allowed.
Violation: TECHNICAL FOUL*

G38

TEAM members [strike]HUMAN PLAYERS[/strike] may not pass the BALL to a TEAM member [strike]HUMAN PLAYER[/strike] in another HUMAN PLAYER AREA (passing the BALL within an ALLIANCE STATION or HUMAN PLAYER AREA is permitted).

*Violation: FOUL

Note: We have made a modification to G40 as a compromise between a desire to mitigate the volume of G40 penalties incurred at Week 1 competitions and the fundamental objective of never allowing ROBOTS and Humans to occupy the same space at the same time during a MATCH. While this adjustment offers some reprieve for HUMAN PLAYERS who reach beyond the SAFETY ZONE during a MATCH, it maintains the SAFETY ZONE between the ROBOT and the HUMAN PLAYER when both are in the same area and stress that HUMAN PLAYERS prioritize safety and avoid the space unless necessary.*

G40

During the MATCH, TEAMS may not extend any body part

1. in to a space defined by the Human Player Barrier Brackets, the SAFETY ZONE, and the GUARDRAIL that is either occupied by a ROBOT or adjacent to such a space occupied by a ROBOT
    or,
  2. beyond the GUARDRAIL at any time. [strike]into the SAFETY ZONE during the MATCH.[/strike]

http://i.imgur.com/kZsubMj.png

Correct, no foul, as long as it is not strategic. Teams should be aware that high speed contact can occur, and should design the robot, including appendages, appropriately.

When quoting the update you need to format it too, to make the changes obvious.

This update should fix a lot of the week 1 issues, lets hope they also fixed the behind the scenes FMS problems.

Provided you are not trying to tweak their intake on purpose; Yes.

Yes. Obviously, you can’t strategically play defense with the sole purpose being to damage the intake, but if you damage their intake while playing defense, it’s okay. Anything put outside the frame perimeter is done so at the team’s risk and is fair game. This has been the case since kickoff.

In general, a team is responsible for any extension outside of the frame perimeter. The update addresses the fact that a team cannot drive into an opponent’s extension and get a G28 called against the opponent.

It better not be strategic or repeated.

All of this update is great!
Week 2 should go smoothly now.

Or at least acknowledged there was a problem…

Still no better ball sizing standards, balls still take 10 years to return to play if they leave the field, and refs still have way too much on their plate.

I think they have a ways to go still, but its progress.

As long as they put a focus on calling that contact inside frame perimeters consistently, that should help a lot.

Okay I see, I thought it to be that way since kickoff but with the addition of a couple things it made me a bit confused.
Also, I understand it cannot be strategic. That’s not GP.

These changes are a good start but I was hoping for something to be done about the pedestals and overwhelming pressure on the refs. Anyone who has competed week one knows that there are still major issues remaining.

None of those really require rule changes, though. It would still be nice to see them addressed somehow, but this may not be the place to do it.

Things have been done. However, they do not effect the rules and thus are not included in the rule updates. That’s all I’ll say right now.

This is barely a start. I have no idea what “adjacent” means, and the manual doesn’t define it. How far away is far enough away?

Not to mention this rule only gives human players three more inches. Referees, already busy tracking scoring, possession, penalties, etc. are going to need eagle eyes to get an idea of if this rule is broken.

The contact inside bumper zone rules are barely changed. It’s a big improvement, yes, but it still doesn’t make it okay to go after a ball that a defender is keeping from you.

No fixes to referees being overworked. No fixes to the pedestal not lighting up (you should be able to get a ball in the case of the pedestal not working). No stated fixes to field reset returning balls too slowly. No fixes to other fundamental game design flaws. I’m not impressed.

As per what Tyler said, and I can vouch for him, this has been worked on, but won’t be reflected in the rules since it’s not regulated there.