Games during Robotics Time

Do people on your teams every play games on your lab desktops or their own laptops while a robotics meeting is going on and other people are working? Granted, you won’t always be busy, but what are people’s team’s policies on gaming and such. It is annoying and a waste of time.

A couple of times, Someone who had nothing to do, or when no one had anything to do, some one was playing a game of CS,(cough** will **cough) but that’s infrequent.

It’s come up in my team before, but the teachers are pretty good at getting people back on track :slight_smile:

It is really horrible sometimes on my team. We have a few computers that the school gave us so that we could work on creating and submitting an animation. Unfortuantely, a huge crowd inevitably gathers in the “animation room” and people are either playing games or mixing music or just plain wasting time. Coaches literally have to be policemen around that room. It’s really funny though, because when all of a sudden you realize that half the people who came are missing, you know exactly where they are…

Only at the competitions and in the form of GBA games.

Just last night we held a tornamnet playin Space Cadet Pinball on all five of our computers. The leaders were in a meeting and we had nothing better to do.

yeah, this was a big problem in the early weeks because our design meetings and such were held in our CAD lab, where there are 24 CAD computers, as you can guess lots of people would play games and not pay attention, finally we got the games off of the server so thats not a big distraction now, but now people are just doodeling in CATIA, Inventor, 3DS or one of the other programs we have on the comps

*Originally posted by JeffO *
**Just last night we held a tornamnet playin Space Cadet Pinball on all five of our computers. The leaders were in a meeting and we had nothing better to do. **

HA!!! now that’s what I’m talking about. We have 4 compaqs (yeah… sigh…) to make our animation, and sometimes I’ll take a break and play a good ole’ game of Windows Pinball. :slight_smile:

It happens every once in a while. It’s good not to get too uptight about it. I myself am always focused on working, but not everybody has to be.

we LAN every couple of weeks. raise some funds and frag some n00bs. good stuff

scans

Our gaming policy is that if they are playing games, they have no work to do and no use to be there that night. So that individual gets to go home and play games. I don’t know if it’s an empty threat or not…I don’t think anyone has tested it yet. (We had a problem last year with it…to the point of stuff not getting done…or people just there to bump up their hours.)

We’re contemplating the idea of having a LAN party for a fund raiser. If anyone does it, let me know the turn-out and what kind of stuff you did (games, fees, stuff like that)

*Originally posted by evulish *
**(We had a problem last year with it…to the point of stuff not getting done…or people just there to bump up their hours.)

What is this about “bumping up hours?”

The kids (and adults as well) are strictly forbidden from playing games on the site computers. Of course they still do…:rolleyes:

*Originally posted by Koko Ed *
**The kids (and adults as well) are strictly forbidden from playing games on the site computers. Of course they still do…:rolleyes: **

Some students on our team have a “gaming problem”. Because of this, our advisors decided if they catch a student playing games during worktime, he or she will be sent home for the night. I completely agree with this policy - if you want to play games, go home and do it on your own time. We’re here to work, not play around!! :yikes:

• Katie

*Originally posted by srjjs *
**What is this about “bumping up hours?” **

We need so many hours in robotics to be able to go to the competitions. So people go there and do nothing. sigh

if its something like sorting papers, doing inventory, or some other menial task, most people wont do it. i’ll admit, sometimes i do the same thing…but is unfortunate and a waste of everyones time when they only sit around in ‘CSC’