GCC 4.9 arm-nilrt-linux-gnueabi toolchain

Has anybody been able to successfully build a GCC 4.9 toolchain for the roboRIO? I’ve been looking into it, but I don’t have any hardware, so I was wondering if any of the beta teams had had any success as of yet.

I have already successfully used 4.8.3 with it. 4.9 shouldn’t be that hard.

What C library did you use? Just glibc? And where did you snag the kernel headers?

I have never cross-compiled before, so I am a newbie. When you use GCC and try to compile an application for another platform like the PPC in the cRIO, do you still have access to the full C++ STL library? Also, are there some libraries like pthread available?

I have the GNU GCC compiler to cross-compile for the RasPi, but I don’t know if it will compile my application, which uses pthread and libx11.

Thanks!

I was feeling really lazy, and found a pre-built tool-chain. Compiling GCC takes a while. We will be spreading more information (and filing bug reports) as part of the beta test, and this will be part of it. I’d like to get some more experience with everything before spreading info.

One of my eventual goals is to set up Clang as well.

We are currently updating our toolchain for GCC 4.9, which will (hopefully, almost positive) be the official C++ compiler for 2015. Its not yet done (I’m actually waiting for GCC to compile on launchpad as I type this), but we are hoping to let some beta teams test it soon (week or so?).

The C library much match the one on the roborio (which is glibc irrc. We are currently just copying them off the image). The kernel headers are normal kernel headers, which can be snagged by something like this: https://bitbucket.org/byteit101/toolchain-builder/src/0b343d5f9c3c7910b6ff08ce90d35027cf06f744/get_linux.sh?at=default

Depends on the platform. C++STL is anywhere that C++ compiles, but pthread is not always. Its on the RoboRIO, but not the cRIO. libx11 is not on the RoboRIO as there is no output display for X to run on.

Shameless plug: Anyone interested in maintaining arm-linux-gnueabi packages for non .deb-based linux should contact me. If the given platform already has binutils 2.24 and gcc 4.9.1, you only need to package the header files and so libs.

As I’m only an alum for a team, I have access to neither hardware nor the actual images so I didn’t know what library headers I should be using. I was having a REALLY hard time getting glibc to build with a bootstrap version of GCC though, which is probably due to my relative inexperience with toolchain building. Any tips on getting building a bootstrap version of GCC that will actually build glibc?

EDIT: Also is there a preview version of wpilib i could be using?

I’ve built an arm-linux-gnueabi cross compiler before on Arch Linux by using the instructions here: How to install arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc on Archlinux (GCC compiler for arm). Although, the packages don’t build the correct version of glibc among other things. If you use another distribution, you could run the shell commands in the PKGBUILDs yourself.

There’s a git repository for the 2015 WPILib at https://usfirst.collab.net/sf/sfmain/do/viewProject/projects.wpilib, but it’s not publicly viewable.

You should be able to use the Linaro GCC 4.9 toolchain on a Linux box. I’m using it now for my other ARM platforms on my Linux Mint 17 box.

What does one have to do to get access?

To get read access, I submitted an account creation request on the login page and it got approved by an administrator eventually.

I’m still planning on rolling my own toolchain, but for the information of others I just found someone building Debian/Ubuntu packages here.

While this might not be exactly what you are looking for, NI has a full openembedded build system set up as well as their fork of the linux kernel on their github here: https://github.com/ni

There are a couple of other cool things on their github as well if you look around.

wow, google let that get out fast… That is the current WPI WIP official 2015 toolchain set (for debian/ubuntu) Please note that we just are starting to release this to beta teams (like 5pm today), so bugs are expected. There are other bits not found in this repository (mainly WPILib and all the FRC-specific libraries) so you can’t build robot programs with it yet if you are not an beta tester. Please don’t report bugs if you aren’t a beta tester, there are several broken things I know about already and its only been the first few hours. I don’t need hundreds of the same bug reports…

Also if you are a beta tester and you haven’t heard of this yet: we are rolling this out slowly due to the large breakage this could cause. Don’t panic.

Excuse me for this extremely newbie question:
Just a couple days ago, I made an ARM cross compiler for my RasPi. They both are ARM based, so right away, it seems as though the RPi executables will be compatible with the cRIO. However, aren’t there differences in the machine code between the different subsets of ARM? Would they prevent my executables from running?

Thanks! I’m quite new to cross-compiling. I want to have a cross compiler ready for the RoboRIO so I can push my software as soon as possible!

Patrick has been working hard to make gcc 4.9 available on all platforms (mac, linux, windows). Unless you have some specific needs that aren’t met by that, you are better off using the provided and supported compiler. 971 is looking forwards to the opposite. Not having to build a custom cross-compiler to get our code to work.

As a Functional Freak™ (Haskell) I’d be more than willing to work with you on getting a LLVM backend working. Are you planning on putting or currently have a GitHub repo up?

I’ve got enough projects lined up, ignoring my day job, that it will probably be next year before I mess with a clang cross compiler. The roboRIO isn’t a very arcane backend. It probably just requires the correct compiler options when building the compiler. (softfp ARM backend with NEON)

If I had infinite time I would be trying to get a Rust compiler going for the roboRIO (also if I still had access to hardware). If it was stable, it would be a cool fit with all of its compile-time memory safety guarantees.

It would be insanely useless due to Rust’s lack of c++ interop at the current moment, so WPILib wouldn’t work, but it would still be a fun project.

EDIT: Actually, with existing toolchains, this might not be all that hard. See ya on the flipside, I’m going in.

EDIT 2: @Patrick:

1. Where did you get those linux headers?
  2. How did you compile those libc6 binaries? Bootstrapped GCC?

EDIT 3: Homebrew formulae for OSX folks. https://github.com/mcoffin/homebrew-frc

EDIT 4: Is there a way to make it so I don’t have to pass the -B option at runtime to the compile to get it to use the correct binutils instead of my system binutils?

EDIT 5: Rust compiler added to homebrew formulae.

Anyone know if we can get the project files or options NI/WPI used to configure the busybox build? Might be nice to build a new version and add some features here and there.