General Forum congestion

Posted by Brandon Martus at 04/12/2001 5:21 AM EST

Other on team #47, ChiefDelphi, from PCHS and Delphi Automotive Systems.

The General Forum has always been a popular one,
but this year more than usual. Even after archiving the messages after four days, the page is huge.

If you could add one or two more forums to the existing four, to keep the forum sizes smaller, what would they be?

Strategy? Rules? Animation?

I think if we made one or two more forums, the General forum wouldn’t be so big. We could also keep the messages on the forum for more than 4 days.

I figured I would ask you all what you thought, since you would be using it.

Respond here with your thoughts on one or two more forums.

Thanks,
Brandon

Posted by Jason Iannuzzi at 04/12/2001 9:19 AM EST

Engineer on team #11, Marauders, from Mt. Olive HS. and BASF, Rame Hart, CCM.

In Reply to: General Forum congestion
Posted by Brandon Martus on 04/12/2001 5:21 AM EST:

I’ve always enjoyed the conversations here, but at the same time, I’ve never really liked the layout of this type of web board.

I really like the UBB or fuseTalk message boards and similar ones because it’s very easy to read and navigate a large number of active threads.

What I’m saying is, I’d rather see less forum types, but in a more readable format. I’m not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, I value this community. Just my $.02.

Posted by Wayne Wnuck at 04/12/2001 4:45 PM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcats, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In my opinion, what is needed is one forum for all the gossip and chat. Without all that, the strategy, rules, etc. could be in one place.

Posted by Brandon Martus at 04/12/2001 5:04 PM EST

Webmaster on team #47, ChiefDelphi, from PCHS and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Gossip
Posted by Wayne Wnuck on 04/12/2001 4:45 PM EST:

Thats the purpose of the Rumor mill.
Gossip, misc, etc
But most people post in general.

: In my opinion, what is needed is one forum for all the gossip and chat. Without all that, the strategy, rules, etc. could be in one place.

Posted by Erin at 04/12/2001 5:09 PM EST

College Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Gossip
Posted by Wayne Wnuck on 04/12/2001 4:45 PM EST:

means end of message

Posted by Ken Leung at 04/12/2001 8:35 PM EST

College Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

A lot of the messages these days are about the competition itself, so how about a new forum for just competition related topics?

I can imagine it being empty normally during the 6 weeks and off season, but it should be pretty filled up by the time of Regionals and National, as well as side competition held by teams.

Posted by Mike Sklar at 04/13/2001 3:26 PM EST

Engineer on team #21, ComBBAT , from Astronaut H.S. and Titusville H.S. and Brevard Community College and Boeing Company and NASA-KSC.

I notice many of the messages on the general forum are of a social nature. That is someone looking for someone they sort of met (usually a guy with a crush on someone), or someone congratulating a team or people, or just plain gossip. Great stuff but why not separate it.

I also notice most of the discussion on the forum relates to commentary on the competition itself or on the goals and directions of FIRST as an organization. All of this discussion could also become a forum called “FIRST Policy” or “FIRST the good & bad”

Posted by Anthony S. at 04/14/2001 6:19 PM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/BOEING/MEVATEC.

Have one during the 6 weeks “construction and design” then when the 6 weeks is over, change the name to Competition. By the way, why can’t anyone open a chat room. It would be so awesome to have a FIRST robotics Chat Room