Getting Smartdashboard 2.0 working

Seeing as how my last thread hasn’t garnered any responses in a few days I’ll try again with a more generic question. Has anyone gotten the JavaFX Smartdashboard 2.0 working?
I’ve tried it on Linux and Windows and have have used both OpenJDK and Oracle Java on both platform and every time I seem to be getting some jrubyfx errors. Any help would be appreciated since my team would like to use the Smartdashboard this year.

Sorry, didn’t have access to Chief Delphi until right now. Please see my response to your post here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1327299#post1327299

I was able to open the sfx.jar file and run it through both Windows Explorer and the Command Prompt (Windows 7 - I haven’t tried, nor do I intend to try, any other operating systems).

However, I haven’t been able to get it to open with Driver Station (see my post here http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1327293#post1327293).

I did this and got the following error:

C:\>java -jar sfx.jar
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:29 warning: already initial
ized constant ARG_CONVERTER_SUFFIX
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:32 warning: already initial
ized constant NAME_TO_COLORS
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:138 warning: already initia
lized constant CONVERTERS
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:173 warning: already initia
lized constant ENUM_CACHE
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:176 warning: already initia
lized constant ENUM_OVERRIDES
Exception running Application:
#<NameError: uninitialized constant JRubyFX::Controller::FxmlLoader>
org/jruby/RubyModule.java:2684:in `const_missing'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/imports.rb:71:in `const_missing'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/controller.rb:334:in `get_fxml_loader'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/controller.rb:117:in `load_into'
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/core_ext/stage.rb:82:in `fxml'
classpath:jar-bootstrap.rb:74:in `start'
org/jruby/RubyBasicObject.java:1536:in `instance_eval'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/module.rb:49:in `with'
classpath:jar-bootstrap.rb:73:in `start'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/java_fx_impl.rb:119:in `launch_app_after_platform'
org/jruby/gen/InterfaceImpl498204640.gen:13:in `run'

Because you got that error and not “command not found” or something similar, I take it you did put it in a separate folder, but I’m just confirming that it does exist there?

When you try to run it, does it create two other .jars, one being sfxlib.jar?

Can you open it when you double click on it?

When you put the file/folder into the C:\ drive, did you also copy the plugins folder that was originally with it?

Yes it does exist there.

Yes.

Nothing. That’s the reason I started opening it cmd.

Yes, I copied the plugin folder. It came empty though.

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

What version(s) of Java do you have on your computer? For me I got it working once I uninstalled all versions of Java 6 and updated to the newest one (7 update 51).

Where do you even download SmartDashboard 2.0? I can’t seem to find a download link for it, and all of the links on the FIRSTForge site are from last year.

You don’t need to download it separately; it comes in the sunspotfrcsdk folder that is automatically installed with the Netbeans plugins.

The directory is C:\Users[Your_Username]\sunspotfrcsdk ools.

It will be called sfx.zip. Extract it into another folder. I just did mine into a folder called sfx in the tools directory.

See this page for more details. Setting SFX to Launch with the DS | SmartDashboard | 2014 FRC Control System

Hm. Well, what if I’m not using Java? I suspect it’s probably in the C++ tools then…

Yup. It’s in the WPILib folder of the workbench update. Silly lack of documentation. >_>

Sorry, I thought this was in the Java sub-forum because I was posting about SFX in another thread earlier today. It is still on the site!

“If you have the C++ update installed this is likely C:\Windriver\WPILib\SFX” Under “Locate SFX”. Their pictures just show the Java path, but it works the same way.

I updated to 1.7.0_51 and am now getting the follow error:

C:\>java -jar sfx.jar
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:29 warning: already initial
ized constant ARG_CONVERTER_SUFFIX
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:32 warning: already initial
ized constant NAME_TO_COLORS
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:138 warning: already initia
lized constant CONVERTERS
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:173 warning: already initia
lized constant ENUM_CACHE
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/utils/common_converters.rb:176 warning: already initia
lized constant ENUM_OVERRIDES
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/imports.rb:71:in `const_missing'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/controller.rb:334:in `get_fxml_loader'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/controller.rb:117:in `load_into'
file:/C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/core_ext/stage.rb:82:in `fxml'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/module.rb:49:in `with'
file:C:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/java_fx_impl.rb:119:in `launch_app_after_platform'
org/jruby/gen/InterfaceImpl256959397.gen:13:in `run'

C:\&gt;java -version
java version "1.7.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

Is that the only version of java you have on your machine? Use the Java uninstall tool (http://www.java.com/en/download/uninstallapplet.jsp) to check and remove any previous versions.

I got rid of the older versions. It shouldn’t matter anyways since that’s the version that’s in the system PATH.

It shouldn’t, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t. What if you try reinstalling it altogether (are you using C++ or Java?)? Or try deleting the other files it makes?

Hmm, that is interesting and confusing. Would you mind pasting the sha1sum of sfx.jar, sfxlib.jar and sfxmeta.jar?
Whoa, just testing right now with 7u51 I get a strange error that we only saw on Java 8 but its different to what you have… Would you mind trying with 7u45 if you can?

Using my linux machine that has 7u45 (can’t get to the Windows computer I’ve been testing on today) it spits out the following error code:

denis@denis-Aspire-3830TG / $ sudo  java -jar sfx.jar 
file:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/imports.rb:71:in `const_missing'
file:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/controller.rb:334:in `get_fxml_loader'
file:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/controller.rb:117:in `load_into'
file:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/core_ext/stage.rb:82:in `fxml'
file:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/module.rb:49:in `with'
file:/sfx.jar!/jrubyfx/java_fx_impl.rb:119:in `launch_app_after_platform'
org/jruby/gen/InterfaceImpl777276342.gen:13:in `run'

My sha1sum’s are:

64fcdf3b0581b7984f9bb46f445d76327b0c4d4e  sfx.jar
1c9eb494fe5b887e13e65a5df6afaee722c15d86  sfxlib.jar
acc23b6c9f2dab9ec9f41085c1112d55e9875b31  sfxmeta.jar

Hmm, the latest sums are
f87153004a148ca2e1af6e855ee61ad9e6dedd21 sfx.jar
8af943793e339c5ada2e01714f82ade68d886fc5 sfxlib.jar
ea4181a899de37042f393a5536a143ccc68a510d sfxmeta.jar

could you re-download sfx.zip from here and try again: http://frcbuilder.wpi.edu:8190/job/Smartdashboard2/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/sfx.zip

Hi, I am getting the same message, and I don’t see the sfxlib.jar file in the sfx.zip file downloaded from the above link.

sfxlib and sfxmeta will appear once you run sfx. either way, you can still check the sha1sum of sfx individually

I found something interesting on Windows 7 64bit. It won’t work from the standard user/sunspotfrcsdk directory structure if your name has a space in it. I tried moving the sfx.jar and plugins directory to c:\apps\sfx and it worked fine