Goal pipe spacing too narrow to push balls through???

Posted by Rob DeCotiis at 1/13/2001 11:19 PM EST

Student on team RoBUCtics from Red Bank Regional High School.

Hey, My school built the goal exactly to size and we noticed that we couldn’t push the balls through the sides. Has anyone else seen this? i see they show in the manual “The Game” a robot pushing a ball through the sides. has anyone done this?

Posted by Tim Baird at 1/14/2001 12:28 AM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Goal pipe spacing too narrow to push balls through???
Posted by Rob DeCotiis on 1/13/2001 11:19 PM EST:

We built the goal to the exact size and we were able to push a ball through by just pulling the two bars apart a little bit. It may not be easy, but very possible.
Tim

: Hey, My school built the goal exactly to size and we noticed that we couldn’t push the balls through the sides. Has anyone else seen this? i see they show in the manual “The Game” a robot pushing a ball through the sides. has anyone done this?

Posted by Rob DeCotiis at 1/14/2001 12:51 AM EST

Student on team RoBUCtics from Red Bank Regional High School.

In Reply to: Re: Goal pipe spacing too narrow to push balls through???
Posted by Tim Baird on 1/14/2001 12:28 AM EST:

Hmm… that’s strange, we couldn’t push it through even with bending the bars… hmm… maybe a different gauge pvc pipe???

: We built the goal to the exact size and we were able to push a ball through by just pulling the two bars apart a little bit. It may not be easy, but very possible.
: Tim

: : Hey, My school built the goal exactly to size and we noticed that we couldn’t push the balls through the sides. Has anyone else seen this? i see they show in the manual “The Game” a robot pushing a ball through the sides. has anyone done this?

Posted by Raul at 1/14/2001 2:47 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

I think it might actually be better if you can wedge them on the sides of the goal. You can certainly fit a lot more “in/on the goal” this way. Since no one is playing defense, there is no reason to think they would be removed. Some issues are if the goal tips over or if they rub against the counter-weight while the goal is balance on the bridge.

Raul

: Hey, My school built the goal exactly to size and we noticed that we couldn’t push the balls through the sides. Has anyone else seen this? i see they show in the manual “The Game” a robot pushing a ball through the sides. has anyone done this?

Posted by Jason “JDoggyDog” Trotter at 1/14/2001 11:47 AM EST

Student on team #191, X-CATS, from Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School.

In Reply to: Why push balls all the way through???
Posted by Raul on 1/14/2001 2:47 AM EST:

It is much easier to wedge the balls into the goal rather than all the way through, but I was playing with our goal and it is possible to push the ball all the way through. It takes alot of force to do it, but it is possible.

–Jason “JDoggyDog” Trotter–

: I think it might actually be better if you can wedge them on the sides of the goal. You can certainly fit a lot more “in/on the goal” this way. Since no one is playing defense, there is no reason to think they would be removed. Some issues are if the goal tips over or if they rub against the counter-weight while the goal is balance on the bridge.

: Raul

Posted by Michael Martus at 1/14/2001 1:06 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Hey guys, remember the clock is ticking while this is going on. At some point the effort is diminished by the value of the clock.

Then who is holding the goal while you are forcing the balls in?

I do not think this is a good choice. Let the humans load the balls. That is 90% and fast.

Posted by Ken Leung at 1/14/2001 5:45 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Re: Goal pipe spacing too narrow to push balls through???
Posted by Michael Martus on 1/14/2001 1:06 PM EST:

I agree… more multiplier is much better couple more of black balls in the goal. And keep in mind, the balls are never inflated to the exact size. So you will need to build a flexible balls transportation system, as well as a system to ensure that black balls will actually go into the goal, while the goals will never be exact same size. It is a pretty difficult task to design around.
But if you have a massive telescoping system to push balls in quickly, it is going to get you far into the finals. Because little points in the finals are going to matter a lot.