Goal...PVC is loose...

Posted by Elaine at 1/9/2001 11:17 PM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from Mckinley High School and NASA Ames/Hawaiian Electric /Weinberg Foundation.

Has anyone built the goal yet? We bought the PVC
which is suppose to be 1 1/4" and tried to put it into
the kee clamp fitting(Base Flange), but the PVC is
very loose. Does anyone know if we are suppose
to insert anything between the PVC and fitting?

Posted by rebecca at 1/10/2001 2:58 AM EST

Student on team #192, gunn robotics team, from gunn high school.

In Reply to: Goal…PVC is loose…
Posted by Elaine on 1/9/2001 11:17 PM EST:

Sounds to me that you possibly have PVC that is the incorrect schedule (thickness). Correct schedule is 40. Either that or you are trying to use kee clamps from previous years competitions. OR you didn’t buy kee clamp brand flanges.

ALSO be very careful which dimensions you follow when putting the thing together. From our calculations the short lengths of PVC that make up the top octogon are the wrong length. They need to be a good deal shorter in order to match the radius of the octogon dimensioned on the base.

: Has anyone built the goal yet? We bought the PVC
: which is suppose to be 1 1/4" and tried to put it into
: the kee clamp fitting(Base Flange), but the PVC is
: very loose. Does anyone know if we are suppose
: to insert anything between the PVC and fitting?

Posted by Joe Johnson at 1/10/2001 6:09 AM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

We have a goal almost built, our flanges do fit the PVC so something is probably wrong on your end.

By the way, has anyone else weighed the goal?

At the kickoff, I hefted the thing up and guessed that it weighed about 40 pounds with about 10 small balls in it. Others who did the same thing came up with a similar estimate.

But… …I was very surprised to get a weight of over 60 pounds for the goal we built.

Does this match other team’s goal weight?

Do tell.

Joe J.

Posted by Justin Stiltner at 1/10/2001 8:43 AM EST

Student on team #388, Epsilon, from Grundy High School and NASA, American Electric Power, Town of Grundy.

In Reply to: got a scale handy?
Posted by Joe Johnson on 1/10/2001 6:09 AM EST:

: We have a goal almost built, our flanges do fit the PVC so something is probably wrong on your end.

: By the way, has anyone else weighed the goal?

: At the kickoff, I hefted the thing up and guessed that it weighed about 40 pounds with about 10 small balls in it. Others who did the same thing came up with a similar estimate.

: But… …I was very surprised to get a weight of over 60 pounds for the goal we built.

: Does this match other team’s goal weight?

: Do tell.

: Joe J.

Joe,
We estimated (by picking up the goal at kickoff ) it to weigh about 60-70. But we havent built one yet so I do not know the exact weight but We should know by tuesday.

Justin Stiltner
Team #388
Epsilon
Grundy Va,

Posted by Kurt Ehrhardt at 1/10/2001 11:05 AM EST

Engineer on team #175, BUZZ, from Enrico Fermi High School and UTC/Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems.

: We have a goal almost built, our flanges do fit the PVC so something is probably wrong on your end.

We are having a hard time locating the casters on the bottom of the goal using FIRST’s blueprints. The numbers work out so that the plate securing the caster to the goal protrudes outside the base of the goal by a 1/4 inch or so. This is clearly not what FIRST intended, and we have digital pics of the goal at kickoff that look different than the blueprints. We hope to have the answers today so that we can complete the construction of the goals.

: By the way, has anyone else weighed the goal?

Not yet. Tonight for sure.

Kurt

Posted by Samuel Lindhorst at 1/10/2001 12:03 PM EST

Engineer on team #240, Mach Vee, from Jefferson High School and Visteon.

I estimated 70 lbs. at kickoff when full of balls.

You were just full of adreneline, Joe… :o)

Sam

Posted by Andy Baker at 1/10/2001 9:17 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Geez… we went through a lot to get 1 goal built. Here’s what we have so far:

1 goal with 1 big ball and 16 of last year’s balls in it = 87 lbs.

A couple of problems:
…The top is too big. PVC1 must be shorter than 3-15/16".
…Only 11 balls could fit in the goal at kickoff. Our balls from last year are old and cushy, and the goal is too big on top.
…The entire metropolis of Kokomo doesn’t have more than 4 of the 1-1/4" tee fittings, so we had to buy cross fittings and cut one side off. It’s almost like someone played a joke on us and made sure that there were no couplings of this size. I went to Lowe’s, Menard’s, Furrow’s and True Value… no fittings. They are on order.
…The casters are hard to find. I had to get my brother, who lives in Louisville to go to a Home Depot and send us some. (He lives only 1 mile from HD… I’m envious.)

We shoulda weighed the goal as empty or with only 10 or 11 balls in it. We’ll do that tomorrow, and I’ll post the results.

One last problem we had with the goal is the location of P11. Sure it is centered, and the clamps are 11" apart, but how far off of the edge of the octagon border is the pipe located? Anyone know?

Andy B.

Posted by Michael Martus at 1/10/2001 7:13 PM EST

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

PVC size of 1.25 is nomimal and not the same as black iron pipe.

We found the same problem. Our robot has not dislodged them however.

OK

The robot was a machine we created for a local robotics competition, not the FIRST robot ( I wish it were done ).