Good Defense Examples

Does anybody know of any good examples of defense from this year? Specifically trying to find new defensive strategies against mecanum/omni wheel robots as a 8 wheeled bot. Best strategy I have been able to identify with is to attempt to zone the rocket cargo ship area and hope you can position well enough to catch them.

2 Likes

5012 in OCR semifinals. Although it didn’t win matches, it certainly brought our scores closer.

3 Likes

3494 in Tippecanoe, all throughout the elimination phase. Our alliance worked together really well, but the defense was key to winning a lot of those matches. Here’s a playlist of all our matches, we only played defense in one of the qual matches (can’t remember the number right now), but we did it in all the elimination matches except finals 2.

A really good defense strategy is to sit in between the rocket and the cargo ship and essentially “trap” an opposing robot between you and your alliance’s side of the field. It can be tricky to pull off, especially against really good drivers, but it is very effective when done right. See finals 3, from about 120 seconds left to 85 seconds left. We pulled it off for a very long time, taking one of their bots out for a solid 30 seconds at least, and we were never in danger of getting called for a pin.

1 Like

One thing that our team does (5943) is play the “X”.

By positioning your bot at the corner of either side of the cargo ship, you can easily drive forward or backward to do your best to block others from almost every element. A big part of defense is having a good co-driver with you. They have to be able to pay attention and let you know which robot is scoring the most and to go.

7 Likes

As I said in my regional recap last week, I am a huge fan of the defense 5126 played at the Heartland Regional especially in SF3 against 1986. They completely shut down 1986 allowing only 1 cargo to be scored in the entirety of teleop while simultaneously disrupting 5801 either directly or indirectly by forcing 1986 to get in the way.

They do almost everything right in this clip. Understanding that the best defense is a robot turned sideways. They boxed out the entire side of the field forcing both of the red robots to play on the same side. Whenever a robot got past they landed a solid hit right at the back of a robot to rotate their alignment. Notice that they aren’t just out there trying to pin or land big hits. Their primary objective is to deny scoring opportunities and cause disruption. They also did a great job of being patient and focused the entire time. Huge props to that drive team and their drive coach. If I’m trying to coach the third robot on my alliance on how to play effective defense I would show them this match.

3 Likes

5842 at Greater Pittsburgh Regional. It’s absolutely ridiculous that they slipped so far in the draft.

4 Likes

6740 G3 played lights out defense at ISR4. As second pick of alliance 8, they almost helped their alliance upset the #1 alliance. Definitely one of the top defenders in Israel.

I would suggest you look at all the matches played by 2056 - OP Robotics at the ONT District - University of waterloo event…

The counter-defensive approach they used with their alliance partners took them to a 18-0-0 slate, 5 4RP and 6 3RP matches and the Champion banner.

1 Like

Look at 467 at the NE Greater Boston event from last weekend. 5687 only lost two matches at the event, and both times they were against 467.

6882 and 4466 all through CHS district Portsmouth event playoffs. Two solid defense bots, 6882 won both of their events as a second pick for nothing but defense. Our scouting estimates that 6882 caused roughly 20 score interruptions per match. Truly incredible. Fahrenheit, if you’re reading this, good luck at DCMP!

1 Like

250 at HVR during quarterfinals . I had 303’s drive team standing next to me “ooing and ahhing” the entire time.

1 Like

Do you have match video of 2056? TBA doesn’t have it up yet.

3 Likes

Here is the Twitch VOD link for the Waterloo event first quals day…

… and Quals 45 to 64 and Elims…

1 Like

6091 was the best defender at Center Line. They played where they need to and drew very few fouls (most fouls they drew were honest mistakes).

Saints Robotics (1899) played some impressive swerve v swerve defense against Jack in the Bot, and won. Match 27 of quals at Glacier Peak.

1 Like

3494 did play good defense, but a word of caution, in quarterfinals 1 they did spend a lot of time inside of 4103 and some time on top of 1646. That is extremely risky, because if anything would have broken, it would have resulted in a red card. Just something to watch out for.

1 Like

Yes. Watch 3494 in Finals match 3 of Tippecanoe. We knew we wanted a good defense bot who could hab2. We had seen their defensive qualifying match, so we picked them. They turned out to be even better at defense than we could have imagined, getting better as elims rolled on. MVP. 10/10. Would pick again.

4 Likes

Saw the title of this thread and had to mention 3494, but it looks like I got beat to the punch three times!

In all honesty, 3494 is one of, if not the best defensive robot in Indiana this year. I feel as though they were pinical to the success of the winning alliance at [IN] Tippecanoe this weekend. All three robots on the alliance meshed really well, but 3494 played some of the most best defense I’ve ever seen in my 6 years in FRC. I would not be surprised to see them be apart of another alliance that goes late into playoffs this weekend at [IN] Center Grove. To top it off, I don’t think I’ve seen such a steal as the best defensive robot that ranked 13th make it back around to the 3rd alliance.

3494 is a fantastic team and I think both 4272 and 7457 would be happy to team up with them again this season if given the chance

1 Like

Literally any match with 5126 (E.M.P). They went to CIR and Heartland, just watch any match they’re in, their drivers are absolutely brilliant

4 Likes

1817 is insane this year watch the FiT del rio event semis against torque and 5892 they shut them down 3997 also has a really disruptive defense bot

3 Likes