Good News Bad News

Posted by Bill Beatty.

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

Posted on 1/21/2000 9:14 PM MST

We have just reached an accord with Team Hammond and are now in the game! Robot will not be built in our shop, but rather back room CDI style with help from local Career Center of Hammond. Don’t know what we will come up with, but I am sure it will be our usual ugly. Thanks to everyone for the messages and good words as they were Methadone to our withdrawal. See you all in Chicago. Meanwhile, time to take the T- square and triangles off of the hook, the bowpencil and sandpaper block out of the drawer, and the slide rule out of the leather case.

Posted by Ken Patton.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted on 1/22/2000 12:33 AM MST

In Reply to: Good News Bad News posted by Bill Beatty on 1/21/2000 9:14 PM MST:

Thats great to hear! You guys (I think) are a shining example of effort+brains+hearts is better than dollars. Welcome back!

Now when we sit in brainstorming sessions and say ‘well, you KNOW Beatty’s gonna be able to do that,’ we won’t have to struggle with the thought that you aren’t really going to be there. We never truly acknowledged that you left!

Ken

Posted by mike aubry.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chiefs, from Pontiac Central.

Posted on 1/22/2000 4:40 AM MST

Good News - Great News, Hope All you Beatty folks have a great time! We know that we would have really missed seeing you guys at the competitions. I’m sure whatever arrangement you have worked out will allow you guys to bring a class machine to the events! Now quit talking and get working!

Posted by Eric Rasmussen.

Engineer from FIRST.

Posted on 1/22/2000 7:27 AM MST

Congratulations! I’m glad to hear you will be back again.

FYI, here’s something to cheer you on as you get a late start…

Way back when in 1992, yours truely was on a FIRST team. Our team wasn’t even assembled until 2 weeks AFTER the Kickoff when our college (WPI) president said to one of the professors something akin to the following, ‘I enrolled us in some robotics competition that started two weeks ago. I need a team and you’re going to lead it. You’ve got 4 weeks.’

I got tapped to help on the team, we worked hard for 4 weeks, we showed up at the event, and we placed 2nd in a VERY close set of finals matches. FYI, Clinton/Nypro won and Delphi-E/Kokomo came in 3rd or 4th.

In other words, you can still kick butt even with a late start.

Good luck,

Eric

Posted by Daniel.

Coach on team #483, BORG, from Berkeley High School and NASA Ames & UC Berkeley.

Posted on 1/22/2000 12:23 PM MST

In Reply to: Better News posted by Eric Rasmussen on 1/22/2000 7:27 AM MST:

: In other words, you can still kick butt even with a late start.

…esspecially if you’re team #71! :wink:

see you there.

Posted by “MOE”.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #88, TJ2, from Bridgewater-Raynham Reg. High School and Johnson & Johnson .

Posted on 1/22/2000 5:24 PM MST

Welcome back to the FIRST program. This is realy great news that
your team is up and running again. Good times to all, see you all
soooooon, Team # 88 TJ2
MOE

Posted by Raul.

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

Posted on 1/22/2000 10:28 PM MST

Bill,
All I can say is All Right!! Reading your message put a smile on my face. You know how I felt when I first heard you were not going to be in it this year. I am so happy you guys are back in the game.

You are not really too far behind if you have been thinking about what it takes to win. We have not made a single part yet and have no drawings done - only concept sketches. Just today we decided which concept to go with. Then again, this is what we do every year. We always take about two weeks to make sure we have evaluated all the requirements. Heck the Toroid Terror year we didn’t have our final concept figured out until three weeks had gone by. Needless to say, we had to work more late evenings than usual to get done in time.

Good luck - although somehow I don’t think you need so much luck since you have so much talent on your team. Look foreward to competing against and/or with you again.

Raul

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 1/23/2000 7:50 AM MST

Bill,

You know that your team will have an awesome robot, as always.

It will be great to see you at the competitions as you always give a new twist to a problem.

Again, great to have you and your team back.

Posted by Tim Railey.

Coach on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Delco Electronics.

Posted on 1/23/2000 9:44 AM MST

Bill, The TechnoKats are thrilled that you guys and gals from Hammond and Beatty Mach. are back in it again. You always bring a new level of play to the game and I think we all do better when you folks are there. Welcome back, we would have missed you…
P.S. like everyone else says, you are not any further behind than the rest of us.