Good shooter setup for consistent long distance shots

Hello, our team was wondering what a good shooter setup (motors, wheels, gearing, etc) would be for accurate long distance shots this year. We are planning on doing a vertical dual flywheel setup (top and bottom wheels) and would theoretically like to be able to shoot from the edge of the field. We were thinking about doing 2 Neos on each axle for a total of 4 and then 6-inch wheels (maybe Colsons or 50A Andymark Smoothgrip). Are the 4 Neos overkill? What gearing should we try? Thoughts?

Just saying if you haven’t got a prototype and or design started at this point in the season. you may want to consider something much less ambitious. A big thing to remember is to build within your capability and time to create something very consistent. It’s ideal to play every match with your robot being able to do the same thing repeatedly and a lot of it, rather then doing everything or a really ambitious task with low success.

We have already prototyped 775 pros with 4:1 gearing and it worked okay, just wondering if there is a better way

This seems like it would have been an excellent thing to begin wood prototypes ASAP after kickoff. In my opinion, it is getting a bit late in the season to begin planning a shooter design like that, where so many variables are unknown. Regardless, I strongly recommend looking at the robot in 3 days videos, and many of the other successful shooter designs from past competitions. I think you will find with a bit of research that the goal of most shooters this year is to minimize the energy in an attempt to reduce the chance of it bouncing out of the goal. The larger the distance you shoot the cargo from, the more likely it is to not actually stay inside the goal.

As far as giving a couple of drastically oversimplified answers: You could in all likelihood get away with 2 Neos, unless you want to rapid-fire more than 2 cargo, Gearing will likely be 1-to-1 with the motor directly connected to the shaft. A good place to start and narrow your design a bit would be to calculate what wheel speed is needed to get the trajectory you want, then calculate back to figure out the rpm required if you use a 4" vs 6" wheel. Many teams recently have opted to go with a single axel shooting setup, due to the ease of design and programming when compared to a dual axel setup. Regarding wheel selection, both Colsons and Andymark Smoothgrip wheels will likely work well.

Freespeed 775 pro RPM is 18,700 RPM, with a 4:1, that is about 4,675RPM at the wheel. Stall torque is 0.71Nm, and with gearbox 2.84Nm. Compare this with a 1:1 Neo, 5676RPM and 3.75Nm Stall torque. Quick back of the hand calculations would indicate that a single direct drive Neo is more powerful than a 4:1 reduced 775Pro.

We have already prototyped 775 pros with 4:1 gearing and it worked okay, just wondering if there is a better way. And we already have a hood built where we can adjust for different wheel diameters.

Yeah I have thought about this. We are considering giving the ball some topspin to minimize the energy after the initial impact with the goal. And even it it bounces out a substantial percent of times, we save cycle time since we wouldn’t have to drive all the way to the goal and then shoot.

Well seems like you have this mostly taken care of on your end, unless there is a specific question you have regarding your current design.

It may help if you take looks at some of the openalliance build threads. I’ve personally been following team 95s.