Google Chrome

Trying to figure this out. Please be gentle with the non-technical me.

I loaded Google Chrome. Then I noticed my navigation bar looks different. Are these related?

I used to see “Quick Links” but that has disappeared. Since I have moderator access to a “hidden” forum (NEMO) this is a challenge.

It appears to look the same in IE so that is the back up plan, but I would prefer to use Chrome.

Any advice?

Thanks.

You need to import your bookmarks from Internet Explorer.

In Chrome, go to the Chrome Menu ( the thing in the top right that has 3 horizontal bars ) and click Settings.

In the settings screen, scroll down until you see a button that says “Import bookmarks and settings…”, and click it. In the window that pops up, make sure all the checkboxes are checked, and the “From:” dropdown is set to Internet Explorer. On the success screen after you click Import, check the Always show the bookmarks bar checkbox and click done.

Your bookmarks be in a folder on your bookmarks bar called “Imported from IE”.

Hope this helps.

Andrew, Thank you for your help.
I just imported bookmarks from IE per your directions and I see the tab right next to the tab for the bookmarks imported from Firefox (which I used before Chrome).
However using the bookmark on this IE tab in Chrome, the navigation bar still looks the same with no Quick Links.
But when I go directly to IE to the bookmark there, the Quick Links appears on the navigation bar.
Thoughts?

ps. I used to work in Lancaster Co.

That’s not the exact question she’s asking. The problem is, here is a side by side comparison CD in Chrome(left) and in IE(right)

The top bar of the website is completely different.(letterboxing of the right side is simply due to the difference in size between my two monitors)

It looks like they have a different nav bar for Chrome. If you like the one in IE, I suggest you use Firefox as they look the same.

My nav bar in Chrome looks the same as the picture posted for IE. Mine looks the same in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari (and I don’t have IE to test, since I have a Mac).

That is odd, my navbar is different in Chrome and IE/Firefox as well (along with some more subtle differences, like capitalization).

It even looks like the HTML of the page is different (see the contents of the <td> in the below screenshot).

Yes, this is what I am seeing.
Firefox used to look like IE, but now looks like Chrome.

Easiest thing I can think of is to download this extension for Chrome called IE tab, that can open websites in Chrome using IE, then set CD as an auto url in IE Tab’s options.

I posted about this back in 2008. I think vBulletin doesn’t recognize that Chrome on Windows supports JavaScript (though it does for Chrome/OSX).

It seems the rather elderly version of vBulletin being used doesn’t properly recognize Chrome

Bottom of the site says “Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4”

A quick google reveals that v3.6.4 was released in 2006. That’s before Chrome’s time.

Are you logged in. Bar is different based on login.

I was missing the quick links when I switched over to this mac and installed Chrome. I don’t know specifically what I did to get it to work like I wanted it to, but I did make change my profile settings a little. I don’t know which changed corrected it.

You might have to gulp use IE :eek: I would suggest just using it for the times that you use quicklinks but then use Chrome for everything else.

More out of curiosity than anything, but does the Chromium nav bar look the same as Chrome’s? I would assume it does but I am curious.

Yes, and it looks the same.

What is Chromium as the word is used in this context?

Sounds like I will use IE to let the mentors into the NEMO forum.

Thanks for your help.

Chromium is the Linux version of Chrome. I assume that it will be the same as Chrome on Windows or Mac OS’s but I was curious if anyone knew anything about it.

http://www.chromium.org/
Chrome and Chromium both refer to the browser. Chromium OS refers to the operating system of Chrome books where 100% (kinda) of your interaction is with the Chrome browser.

I am sorry we can’t make Chrome run CD as it should. If you want, you can delete the cookies that CD uses. That may help.

Upon the knowledge that CD/vBulletin isn’t detecting the browser properly, perhaps the easiest solution would be to install a User Agent switcher, which changes the information sent to webservers so that it appears that you’re using a different browser than you are.

Here’s one for Chrome. Installing it adds a button next to the address bar. Click it and select one of the other browser choices. Any of the Firefox options brought back the Quick Links and other features when I tried them. In the same menu, you can click Settings and then add an entry in the Permanent Spoof List for chiefdelphi.com to make it only send the false data to CD and not to other sites.

EDIT: For anyone who’s paranoid about installing extensions, this functionality is apparently already built into Chrome: press Control-Shift-I (or F12, or Menu>>Tools>>Developer Tools) to open the Developer Tools, click the gear in the bottom-right corner, click Overrides, then check the User Agent checkbox and pick one of the options.

Not quite - Chromium is the open-source project, Chrome is the widely distributed browser with proprietary Google bits included. Chrome and Chromium are both available (or can be built for) Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. The same distinction applies for Chrome OS and Chromium OS. Most people simply use Chrome because it provides all of the Google features (some file viewers profile integration, tab sync, etc.).
But this is a bit off topic :slight_smile:

For what it is worth, I heard a RUMOR that CD would be updated to something newer, this year. I do not KNOW this, but a trusted source has said it. Once.