Gracious Professionalism carries the day at UTC

Posted by P.J. Baker at 03/04/2001 11:28 AM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Just thought you all might be interested on the view from inside the pre-elimination strategy meeting between 126, 501, 177, 69, & 175 at the UTC regional.

First of all, hats off to GaelForce. They conducted an amazing draft and were really well prepared in the strategy meeting. They listened to all of us and used the input to come up with two plans - one for a solid score (WHICH IS THE PLAN WE USED IN ALL 4 MATCHES), and another in case somebody was able to put up more than 500 pts.

Everybody else gets high marks for being honest about their cababilities and whether or not they could carry out their assignment.

After we got the jitters out in the 1st match (a paltry 390 pts), it was like poetry in motion watching all four bots get their job done. There was never any doubt that we’d hit the mark in those last three matches.

I’d also like to make a couple of comments about Buzz. They were extremely gracious in the strategy meeting, not hesitating to point out that they should be the ones to sit when we played with just one big ball. I felt bad that they didn’t get in, but I know they were ready to go and would have been a great help on stage if something had gone wrong with any of the other machines. They have a great machine, and I hope and expect that they will be on the field Saturday afternoon in N.J. to defend their crown.

Thanks again to GaelForce, 501, Hyper, & Buzz for making yesterday such a great day for the Bobcat.

P.J. Baker
Team # 177

p.s. - wasn’t it nice that a 10 year team and a rookie team from the birthplace of F.I.R.S.T combined to win the 1st regional of F.I.R.S.T.'s 10th season? Extra congrats to GaelForce and 501!

Posted by Andy Grady at 03/04/2001 12:01 PM EST

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

In Reply to: Gracious Professionalism carries the day at UTC
Posted by P.J. Baker on 03/04/2001 11:28 AM EST:

Its not easy when you have 5 great quality teams, and one has to sit out for duration of the finals. However the way Buzz worked with us and used their total honesty during the strategy meetings we have, truely exemplified class. Its hard to swallow your pride and say that your robot shouldn’t be out there for a particular strategy to work, but that is what Buzz did. Im proud to have been associated with a crew and team as classy as team 175. Great job guys, you are deserving regional champions.

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/04/2001 12:23 PM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

In Reply to: Definition of Class
Posted by Andy Grady on 03/04/2001 12:01 PM EST:

To be able to say “we should be the ones to sit out” is a hard thing to do. Buzz made the decision to say it. They did want to get in, but they put the alliance ahead of themselves, making me think that they should be the ones to get the award for “Gracious Professionalism”.

Congratulations.

Posted by Hannah at 03/04/2001 2:41 PM EST

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and NYPRO.

In Reply to: Re: Definition of Class
Posted by Matt Ryan on 03/04/2001 12:23 PM EST:

I completely agree, Buzz you rock and so do our three other alliances, 177, 501, 69, 175. At first I was dissappointed that this years assignment didn’t let us “beat up” other robots, but I think everyone has learned an important lesson on teamwork and compromise this year. Again, Congradulations to everyone at the Regionals.

Posted by Wayne Cokeley at 03/05/2001 12:40 AM EST

Coach on team #25, Raider Robotix, from North Brunswick Twp. H.S., North Brunswick, NJ and Bristol Myers Squibb.

In Reply to: Re: Definition of Class
Posted by Matt Ryan on 03/04/2001 12:23 PM EST:

: To be able to say “we should be the ones to sit out” is a hard thing to do. Buzz made the decision to say it. They did want to get in, but they put the alliance ahead of themselves, making me think that they should be the ones to get the award for “Gracious Professionalism”.

: Congratulations.

Hearing such wonderful things about Buzz is no surprise. No team has more positive spirit. They have ALWAYS been the epitome of gracious professionalism. We are quite happy to call them our friends and 2000 alliance partners. Somebody tell Woody to look their way…

Posted by Steve Army at 03/05/2001 2:50 PM EST

Student on team #175, Buzz Robotics, from Enrico Fermi High School and Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems International.

In Reply to: Definition of Class
Posted by Andy Grady on 03/04/2001 12:01 PM EST:

: Its not easy when you have 5 great quality teams, and one has to sit out for duration of the finals. However the way Buzz worked with us and used their total honesty during the strategy meetings we have, truely exemplified class. Its hard to swallow your pride and say that your robot shouldn’t be out there for a particular strategy to work, but that is what Buzz did. Im proud to have been associated with a crew and team as classy as team 175. Great job guys, you are deserving regional champions.

Hey all!
I would like to take this time to thank the alliance that we were apart of, Teams 69,126, 177, and 501. You guys rock! :slight_smile:

You don’t know how much these comments mean to my team and I. I am very proud to be apart of FIRST and to be associated with one of its teams. I think that the FIRST community is a very kind and gracious community and I think that all teams are winners… Thank you very much, Hope to play with all of you at New Jersey and Nationals!

-Steve, Buzz #175