gracious professionalism = good sportsmanship?

Seriously, what’s the difference?

Philosophy has never been my strong point, but here is the way I view the differences.

Good sportsmanship implies behaviour during a competitive event. Not intentionally destroying a competitor, etc.

Gracious professionalism encompasses behaviour during the entire season and even in the off-season. It is helping out teams that need help. It is holding yourself to a higher standard of ethical behaviour and not passing judgement on others unless you know all of the facts.

At least this is the way I see it. Others may have different interpretations. I am looking forward to reading what others think.

*Originally posted by Warren Boudreau *
**Philosophy has never been my strong point, but here is the way I view the differences.

Good sportsmanship implies behaviour during a competitive event. Not intentionally destroying a competitor, etc.

Gracious professionalism encompasses behaviour during the entire season and even in the off-season. It is helping out teams that need help. It is holding yourself to a higher standard of ethical behaviour and not passing judgement on others unless you know all of the facts.

At least this is the way I see it. Others may have different interpretations. I am looking forward to reading what others think. **

Bingo

Taken from the journal of a historian/archeologist from the year 312 P.D. (Post Destruction, marking the end of the third world war).

-Or how a person a thousand years from now might interpret it given scanty information.

June 28, 312,

Today we found a text buried in the radiation free zone above the Boston Collective. The translation has given us more clues about this mysterious Kamenite sub-culture that spread across the northern continent toward the beginning of the twenty first century A.D.
We have yet to discover what the meaning is behind the interlocking tri-colored symbols, but we suspect that they represented some kind of secret code known only to those belonging to the ancient religion of FIRST that permeated this sub-culture.
The words found in the text support my theory of “gracious professionalism” being one of the chief doctrines of the Gospel of FIRST.
Apparently, this doctrine encompassed a nonjudgmental, attitude of fairness and extreme courtesy that enabled the ancient Kamenites to increase each other’s knowledge, skill, and self esteem. The cooperation level appears to have been extremely high in spite of the fact that the main worship service involved competitions between strange mechanical beasts. This gracious professionalism seems to be more than what Dr. Curmudgeon claims as just good sportsmanship. All seem to have been truly committed to building up and improving each other.
It makes sense and matches up so far with what we’ve been able to decipher from the beginning Symbols “F I” –For Inspiration.

If only we knew what the rest of them meant! What is the mysterious RST! I must keep working at this! Someday we will unravel the mystery of the sudden disappearance of the Kamenites. I still believe that they turned their mechanical beasts into space ships and left for another world at the time of the great ignorance when all technology was harnessed to do evil. Dr. Curmudgeon says I’m just a dreamer, but I believe they are out there somewhere. Someday I hope they come back.

<=================>

Good sportsmanship is just being nice to save face, or simply being polite.

Gracious professionalism is having a true core value inside yourself of consideration for others and positively supporting the and perpetuating the culture if FIRST. It’s the idea of wroking for the common good of the sport. If you support your rivals, they will make more worthy and challenging opponents next year. The better your opponent, the harder you work. The harder you work (on a worthy goal) The better you are. All benefit. All improve. The future has more hope.

*Originally posted by Miss Tree *
Good sportsmanship is just being nice to save face, or simply being polite.

To my mind, true good sportsmanship encompasses everything mentioned above as epitomizing gracious professionalism. I think the two are terms which have arisen from different human endevors to denote the same ideal.

*Originally posted by gwross *
To my mind, true good sportsmanship encompasses everything mentioned above as epitomizing gracious professionalism. I think the two are terms which have arisen from different human endevors to denote the same ideal. **

So,

Gracious Professionalism = TRUE good sportsmanship.

The goal, or target is one and the same, only being struck by two different arrows of endeavor. Si?

Very nice.

I bow to thee o wise one…

*Originally posted by Miss Tree *
Gracious Professionalism = TRUE good sportsmanship.

The goal, or target is one and the same, only being struck by two different arrows of endeavor. Si?

That’s what I think anyway.:wink:

*Originally posted by gwross *
That’s what I think anyway.:wink: **

Made plenty good sense to me this evening.

yup, that’s pretty much what I was thinking too.

*Originally posted by JosephM *

Bingo **

yep.

Well said

*Originally posted by JosephM *

Bingo **

yep.

Well said

meant to reply to Warrens post oops