Gratefully vs Graciously

Gratefully accept. Graciously decline.
That is all.

Edit: I graciously admit that it may be more gracious to “respectfully” decline

25 Likes

I think “regretfully decline” is better, actually. Agree on “gratefully accept”.

17 Likes

I regretfully decline your public service announcement.

34 Likes

Yeah that makes more sense.

8 Likes

I’ve heard respectfully as well. Just don’t gratefully decline.

8 Likes

My favorite is “on behalf of our sponsors, we graciously decline”.

???

32 Likes

“Accept your gracious offer”
“Respectfully decline”

Those have been our goto’s for the past few years.

Edit: We don’t say our sponsors on a decline. But on an accept, like most Ontario teams, we include our namesake sponsors in the accept speech. They are key to making our program succeed and it’s important to us to recognize them that way.

14 Likes

As someone who knows how nerve-wracking it is to stand in front of a gym full of spectators as a high school student, I am just happy when they get the accept/decline correct.

30 Likes

This is super important. Alliance selection is incredibly stressful. For many people it’s the largest audience they’ll ever speak in front of in their entire lives. In addition to that, it’s not truly a planned speech, rather a real-time strategic decision that impacts hundreds if not thousands of people. So as long as folks are being kind out there, I’m more than willing to tolerate some weirdness in word choice.

53 Likes

If it isn’t like this, I don’t want it :smiley:

7 Likes

I graciously disagree, you have to do it like this.

5 Likes

Gracious or grateful or anything in-between, it’s better than asking someone to prom during alliance selection and getting rejected… (You’d be surprised by the # of prom invites during off-seasons)

4 Likes

I got to be an alliance captain on the field making selections twice during my high school time. That means I got to select four other teams in total. I got my own team number wrong twice during those four selections.

25 Likes

You ever mess up so bad that someone else’s sponsors hate you?

10 Likes

Definitely this. I’ve only been on the field as an alliance captain 3? times now (hopefully more coming soon) but when you aren’t in the top 3 seeds, its very stressful. You need to keep track of the teams that are still available to you, the various strengths of the robots, predicting the picks of the alliances above you, whether saying yes or no puts you against the 1st alliance now or later, who you want to say no to, and a whole bunch of other factors. I’ve slowly been leaning towards just sending a kid up there with a phone while all of the strategic planning happens in the stands, it is a lot to keep track of at once.

On top of all of that, the inevitable “why didn’t we pick X team” or “Y team had a higher average” gets very tiring when its a very quick strategic decision that you have to make (hindsight bias).

3 Likes

Mod note: Title updated to reflect OP topic.

3 Likes

While we’re at it, it would be nice if folks got the pronouns correct. “On behalf of XYZ team, we accept” doesn’t really make any sense. Ought to be “we accept” or “on behalf of XYZ, I accept.”

3 Likes

Team WXYZ accepts. Least wordy way to express the decision on behalf of the whole team.

3 Likes

I will make an exception for 2169 or other suitably themed teams on this point however.

3 Likes

At this point it’s just an anthropological curiosity, I’ll leave “graciously accept” for future generations to study

5 Likes