Great Plains Robot Roundup -- September 13-14th -- Salina, Kansas

Inaugural off-season event playing Destination: Deep Space.

Date: September 13-14, 2019
Cost: $250/team
Registration Link: https://forms.gle/uKynvEZBUJAWaCnn9
Contact Info/Checks Payable/Details: See more here: gprr.pdf (132.6 KB)

Travel times: Kansas City 2.5 hr, Oklahoma City 3.5 hr, Denver 6.5 hr

Hotels: Be sure to check box on the sign up if you need assistance.

Basic schedule: Load-in and qual rounds on Friday, and more rounds and elim tournament Saturday.

Feel free to PM me with questions, or the above contacts. Should be a good opportunity to get some drive experience for new and old driver alike.

1 Like

Great to hear another offseason is popping up in the Midwest. If we could get a Google Doc/Sheet with a registered team list available to view, that would certainly help know which teams are going.

Will there be any game rule changes? There may be some for alliance selection if registration is limited though it would be nice to see some rule changes that would spruce up the competition (allowing a preloaded hatch or two on the rocket, per se, or something along those lines).

I think it would be easy enough to add a registered team list on this thread. So I’ll plan to do that when the list begins to populate.

I agree it would be nice for the rocket to matter more in RPs. While most teams still wouldn’t complete them even with a couple pre-placed hatches, that it would let the better teams collect that RP and move ahead of the pack. As of now, there aren’t rule change discussions I am aware of but that is an idea worth considering in due time. Generally I think some changes might conflict with FMS scoring, which would be the main reason I could see not implementing some different scoring rule. My guess is that putting hatches on the rockets at the start wouldn’t.

Correct. There is really no way to implement scoring changes within the FMS for off-season events. Some scoring events can be manually triggered within the FMS post-match, but that get super confusing and potentially starts to mess with allocation of tie-breakers and such. Obviously if hatches were placed on rockets to start, the official scorers could easily add those hatches via the tablet after match start. This is the reason why we mostly see only changes to the way fouls are assessed and rules are called for off-season events.

3 Likes

Tulsa: 4 hr
DFW: 6.5 hr
Wichita: 1.3 hr (a true hotbed of FRC activity! :smile:)

I forwarded it to some Oklahoma teams, some alumni in Wichita who might be able to volunteer, and the Wichita FLL partner. I hope you get a good response.

We’d like to attend, but we’ll have to see where we stand with some other events.

Are second 'bots allowed, and if so, what would be the cost for that? We are hoping to have our rookies build one.

@ngreen Any update on what teams (if any) have registered?

Yes. No additional cost for those teams.

I am aware that 1982 has signed-up. That brings us up to 3, thus far including the hosts and my team. The email was just recently sent out by Robert for KC teams, so I think teams won’t decide in less than a week, in most cases.

In other notes, I talked more to Sheila about filling key volunteer roles, and for anybody traveling in from KC or elsewhere they are planning for lodging and food to be covered. So if you are interested in volunteering that weekend, contact Sheila (sheila.shaffer@usd305.com).

Volunteer applications have opened! Submit your app here: https://forms.gle/jqFMbs2h89G1wvNC7

4 Likes

Wanted to keep up to date. We are at 40% volunteers filled but still have available spots for people interested. Sign up in previous post.

We are working to get more teams signed up. Teams support for the event is important to spread FIRST to new schools, so please send a team if you can. Registration link is https://forms.gle/uKynvEZBUJAWaCnn9

Current team list: