Greatest Success This Season

Alright so I’ve noticed a slight trend across CD in some threads that aren’t so great, a lot of them speaking down on how mentors may do more work than the kids and it’s unfair. So, I wanted to make a thread kind of opposing that.
What were some of your biggest wins this year? Favorite part of your bot? Feel free to brag, laud, or whatever you want, about your team or another.
I just want to see some strict positivity.

Our largely 3D printed swerves, and the fact that I was able to figure out how to program a field-oriented three-wheel swerve that behaved perfectly all season in a week or two.

For sure our 100% autonomous gear placement during our regional. It was our first year using vision. Our sub - 3 second climb was also pretty great.

I think for 1640 our biggest successes this year are the development of our CVT swerve module, and our first outreach award win - the Engineering Inspiration award at one of our district events! It has definitely been an amazing season, and a wonderful way to end my time with the team :slight_smile: Thanks again to all of those who have made our successes possible!

Having a robot where none of the chain failed in competition. We’ve had failures in 2014 (likely cost us the win in the finals), 2015, and 2016.

Using CTRE magnetic encoders on the drive train with Talon SRXs and them never failing us for autonomous. We had some of the US Digital ones in 2011 just fail at one event, and this is the first year since that we’ve used encoders successfully (2016 was oddly temperamental with our non-drive train attempts).

Qualifying for MSC after missing it last year.

Keeping our robot scope limited and not trying to do everything.

Building a robot that climbed the greatest altitude since maybe our 2004 robot (I don’t remember 2010’s ever climbing, 2013 was just the first rung, and no 2016 climber).

We had our best season ever, being alliance captains at both events and making it to semis at both as well and barely missing finals. Won an engineering award at both events at well, a first for us.

Found an exit strategy.

(From being as involved as a mentor. You all get to put up with me still.)

My team had the best robot in our history this year. As a result of that, we won our first robot design award (the Quality Award) in our history at Northern Lights. Then, at Minnesota North Star, we went all the way to the finals as part of the #6 alliance, and qualified for Championship via Wildcard, also getting the Imagery Award on the way.

So, yeah. That was pretty awesome. We hope to do even better next year.

Our teams second year, and we won an award at both of our Ontario district events, and winning the Quality Award at District champs. We have improved so much since last year everyone on our team is very proud of what we have accomplished!

We 3D Printed the living CRAP out of this years robot, we had over 300 PLA parts, and only a couple broke in spots where aluminum would not have. Because of this, we won an award (our first since 2012), nominated a hard-working mentor of ours for the Woodie Flowers award and we got really close to going to district champs. Most importantly, we have momentum off-season, allowing us to recruit more people, train more and prefect our robot. We’re starting a business team (we haven’t had one for a long time), demoing robots like 2 days/week we’re getting new sponsors, becoming more involved in old ones, demoing the robot for them and talking about how they can be more involved than just a source of income.

This year has been great, both personally and on the FRC team, and I can’t wait to see what comes next year!

Okay, so my team had a pretty bad season, but, it was better than last year (which is saying something), and as sad as it sounds, I’m proud that at our second event we drove every match (we didn’t at our first). But not only that, in our last match of the year we got more gears than our alliance partner, 1481, one of the best gear runners at our event. That’s our greatest success robot-wise. And then, a lot of teams I like made it far, so I could write paragraphs how happy I am for them, but that’s not involving my team so I won’t.

We ranked 10th at Utah (higher @ Utah than we ever have before)

Won our first Chairmans at Utah (as a 4th year team)

Our lead mentor got Woodie Flowers at Colorado

We completely redesigned our gear mechanism in-between Colorado and Houston to pick up off the ground, got $3000 of carpet donated for drive practice, and our gear cycles went from 2-3 average to 5-6 average.

Went into Hopper Division hoping for ~30 rank and to get picked for the first time ever at champs, ended up ranked 17 and got on the 1st alliance with our Colorado buddies 1619. (Our last time at champs was 2014, our rookie year, in which we went 0-10 and ranked 97/100)

Best year for The Hi Fives yet!

I’ve been looking for a chance to brag about this for a few months, and the opportunity seems to have finally arisen:

After finishing 58/59 at GKC last year, we got picked for the #3 alliance this year and made it to the semifinals.

We also very nearly beat 1986 - they climbed with a half-second left at most. They only won by 44 points, so without that we would have won the match. Coming that close to beating the captain of the finalist alliance at STL is pretty cool.

Winning NC DCMP and picking up our first blue banner and maintaining our hot streak at Campbell University (we were the finalist alliance captain at the district event last year)

Making it into FUN’s top 25 of week 5

Beating 973 and having a Double Dot (4 rotor + 40 kPa) match with them in Roebling

Making it to semis in Roebling

Winning Colorado Finals 2 and setting the regional high score despite the fact that all of the robots on our alliance were broken in some way.

1619 had broken their ball collector, and ended up duct-taping it closed on the robot because they couldn’t fix it in time. 1011 had broken the encoder on their gear mechanism, meaning they couldn’t run a gear autonomous mode and they had to run the mechanism manually. Finally, 3648 had a driver station die on them just before the match and their climber was broken.

I don’t know how the alliance won, much less set the Colorado high score, but it was amazing.

Other high points include being #4 on the Week 4 FRC Top 25, and being #18 overall on the Expert Top 25. That’s the highest we’ve been in either standing.

This season after fighting some setbacks like losing our head and founding coach, and being evicted during build season from our original build site, we were able to have the best season possible. Although we didn’t win, this was the first year our team was able to submit a chairman’s award. This year, we built probably one of the most complicated robots in the history of our team, and probably the highest quality. We won EI for the first time at our first district event. At our second district event, we were able to walk away with a blue banner as a first pick. At state we were able to be the 3rd alliance captain (compared to not being picked last year).
In St Louis, we were able to be the 4th alliance captain (compared to being a 4th partner last year), picking 3683 Team Dave, 2084 Robots by the C, and 2537 Space Raiders. With this alliance, we were able to defeat 148, a team who everybody on my team loved, and in the end, move onto Einsteins for the first time in history of our team and Southwest Michigan area. I honestly owe this to Dave with their amazing low goal for those tiebreaker and their drive coach’s killer strategies, and Robots by the C for their quick gear cycling and defense. Without the help of them, this season wouldn’t have been as amazing as it was.
PS for 3683 and 2084 is you see this, sorry about the battery incident again!

The software side was a huge success for our team this year. This year was our first time with a true software team(i.e. consisting of more than one student). We got vision working for the first time reliably.

We were able to identify a reasonable set of goals for our robot and execute on them reliably!

Last year we attempted to make a robot that could breach low bar, A, B, and D, score 4+ high goals per match, and climb in the end game. That was far too ambitious for us and we failed, ending up with a robot that averaged less than a high goal per match, had no climber, and would drop connections on every third defense crossing. The years before that our robot was hardly able to play the game - our shooter couldn’t make it into the Aerial Assist goal and our Recycle Rush robot never stacked higher than 1. To put it bluntly, the past few robots we have had simply did not work.

This year has been quite the opposite. We made the choice at the start of the season to make a more simple robot and then spend time getting it reliable. We focused entirely on loading station gears, ignoring fuel, and set a goal of being a robot which could solo 3 rotors and then climb. Instead of spending the days before the competition scrambling to get a tricky mechanism working, we were able to improve the reliability of our simple design, leading us to reach the goals we set out at the start of the build season.

In Aerial Assist and Recycle Rush our robot simply couldn’t play the game. In Stronghold, we could influence the breach, but were not strong enough to change the match outcomes. In my four years on the team, this has been the first year where our qualification ranking is more dependent on our personal performance than the matchups generated by the FMS, because, for the first time, I feel that we made a robot that can truly play the game. :slight_smile:

Our Team for the first time in 6 years made Worlds. For the first time in 14 years we won a blue banner. For the first time in 14 years we made it to Einstein in worlds and for the First time we have made to Einstein Finals.

This year we really developed a lot of relationships with other teams. Including 51, 2611, 201, and many other teams. We used to be stuck up and not listening to anyone this year we flipped our resume. I would like to say this year was supposed a development year, but instead we made it to Einstein Finals.

This particularly resonates with me because it’s clear that our team has been on a similar journey. To finally build a robot that completes the task it was set out to accomplish may not seem like a big deal to a lot of teams, but it certainly is to us. We reversed our design process from previous years and focusing “small-scale” (literally small, with a robot whose final weight was 55 pounds) and concentrating our attention on doing 1-2 tasks rather than the entire game, and doing it RIGHT. Turns out, that worked, and we’re very proud of what we accomplished both on and off* the field this season.

*Winning the Engineering Inspiration Award at the New York Tech Valley Regional takes the cake, though :smiley: