Greyt Universal Cascade Elevator and Powercube Claw

About that…

A lot can change in a decade.

Wow now I feel old lol,

I was in awe of 148’s 2008 bot when I was a sophomore, an absolute unit

But the three most important parts of the robot are still drivetrain, drivetrain, and drivetrain.

To be fair, Tumbleweed did have a non-drivetrain feature, used to knock balls off of the Overpass.

And, also to be fair, the GDC does try to make sure that at least some aspects of the offensive game can be done by a robot that has a drivetrain and not much else. This year, that would be the Auto line (5 points), the Exchange (some number of points between 0 and ?? depending on use case), and Parking (5 points). Last year was a little tougher, but gears (passive retrieval zone collector) and low-boiler fuel are examples. It’s just that by the time you make eliminations, you’ve probably got something more than just a drivetrain…

I have been following this thread closely for a bit, and I have been perplexed by the fact that the REV lift kits seem not have not been mentioned. Is the above perhaps one of the differences, or did people just not feel the need to distinguish between the kits?

Either way, does that help draw a line?

Many years ago, when our team initially started this website, we hoped it would be understood by those that choose to use it - respectful, shared thoughts and ideas would yield a better FIRST community. With that, it would require everyone to be open minded enough to allow opinions that differ from theirs to still be shared (as long as it didn’t break any rules). Most importantly, using gracious professionalism as the basis.
When we started the experience, COTS, AndyMark, VEX, nor many current suppliers existed. My, how times have changed.
My take on this is - if it helps teams fulfill a need and supports a better FIRST experience - so be it. Not every team has the same resource capabilities or limitations, so - far be it from me to judge what is best for others.
There are many ways to “do” this thing called FIRST.

Mike

As a middle-ish tier team, I think that the best solution to these COTS parts is having a time restriction on when they are released to determine if they are legal to use in competition. The REV Robotics elevator was created long beforehand, and became a valuable resource in this game, but have a few flaws that require some engineering around to make them work.
Our own team this year used parts from the REV Robotics elevator, like the 8020 and the bearing blocks because they saved time and were elegant solutions to otherwise a large time-consuming task that required machines and parts we would not have necessarily had access to.
However, this Greyt claw and elevator were custom made for the game and take out a lot of innovation for newer teams, or teams that buy them in general because they’re well-designed for little effort.
However, I know that there are teams out there that do not have the ability to machine anything competitive, and I do think that there is an underlying issue with FIRST and new teams.

I hope people take your advice.

It’s interesting that some people don’t consider integrating someone else’s system into your own design a valid form of engineering… Putting a big system like this on a robot is not a plug and play operation, there’s still plenty of room for problem solving and learning - it’ll probably even be necessary. Integrating systems isn’t that easy.

Arguably, integrating systems is where many teams absolutely fail at engineering-- how many teams had a fuel shooter last year that they couldn’t feed consistently? How many designs have issues transferring between their intake and their scoring mechanism? I still remember how many teams designed frisbee shooters in 2013 with zero consideration for how frisbees would actually get loaded to the shooter.

It’s mentioned somewhat often on here but ignored at times that a large part of engineering is, in fact, integrating other folks components and figuring out what you need to do custom to do your thing. There’s certainly a set of teams that integrating one of these mechanisms represents a large portion of the engineering effort they have to expend during a season.

Bunch more elevators and claws going out! We also have stock for more than the current orders so we should be able to keep up w/ demand realtime.

Assembly Tips Guides for both available here. these are living documents and I will update based on feedback and questions.

Elevator Tips

Claw Tips

GreyT Products 2019 Update

Excellent

Not sure why ours haven’t shipped yet. Wondering what’s going on there. We ordered 10 days ago. Getting very nervous, with shipping times out to Hawaii. Hoping to get a “shipped” notice tomorrow…

There was an initial quantity that sold out the first day unfortunately.

WCP was kitting the remaining parts of round 2 last night for shipment.

Everyone that ordered should be covered soon.

Now that we have a better idea of demand, future years will be easier to more accurately forecast.

Thanks!

I really hope it works out that way. However, I think I can hear Andy and Paul rolling their eyes, in Kokomo and Greenville, respectively. Forecasting demand is a challenge for most suppliers, including every company I have worked for.

Not knowing (much) about the game challenge before kickoff makes the forecast challenge even harder for FRC suppliers.

Got our ship notice today! Phew, feeling much better. Thanks!

This design is just godlike, [EDITED]

I imagine the market for game-specific solutions is a bit more predictable than the market for individual components. The teams who purchase a Great mechanism this year are decently likely to do so again in future years, and the deviation from year to year will likely be pretty low.

Oh god I just realized the pun

Only the GDC should be able to forecast game-specific solutions.