GRIP 1.5 is now available!

If you haven’t heard of it, GRIP is an application aimed at making it easy and straightforward to use computer vision. If you have a webcam, you can use computer vision in FRC. No programming experience needed!

Some big changes have been added to GRIP since the last full release, but here’s the big one:

Code generation for Java, C++, and Python
Now you can generate OpenCV code that’s a direct match to the pipeline running in GRIP! You can embed the generated code directly in a FRC robot program, or in a program running on a coprocessor like a Raspberry Pi or Nvidia Jetson. We’re moving towards using this instead of the deploy mechanism, which Java teams can appreciate. (We’re thinking of removing it altogether. If anyone wants it to stay, please let us know!)

Make sure to read the readme and the wiki! ::rtm::

If you’re new to GRIP for FRC, there are examples on ScreenSteps on how to use GRIP for FRC. There will also be an article up soon on how to use generated code on the roboRIO inside a robot program and on a coprocessor like a Raspberry Pi.

Downloads and full release notes

This is one of the single biggest game changers for FRC in a long time. I can’t thank you folks enough for working on it.

GRIP is the reason we have vision tracking at all this year. It really helped our drivers hit the goal at CowTown. (until the camera came loose and we got swept in quarters)

Great! I can’t wait to take a look at this new release. I think the code generator will help programmers understand more about how it works. That is if they are like myself and are not happy just using software but understanding what is happening in the background.

This is awesome. 1058 used GRIP in a DS to Camera setup at Battle of the Bay for our High Goal Autonomous, and we were considering a Jetson from FC for vision processing next year but don’t have a ton of OpenCV experience, so this is quite helpful.

Can’t wait to try it out!

Awesome! I had been thinking that a code-generator option would be great to have, but hadn’t bothered to look into it. Phenomenal work guys!

Can’t get it to install in windows 10 x64.

Get message “Error installing Method” then “Failed to launch JVM”

Googled, and only found this, not sure what I am doing wrong.

Same issue here.

It sounds like the same issue I was having. After searching through the issues section of the GitHub page I found that the issue has already been reported and the current solution involves compiling it on your computer. The exact steps I followed can be found near the bottom of this issue.

The issue is that grip is trying to use port 8080 on your network (a port i’ve found to be rather common among programs I use) and is finding that another program is using it. When this happens, grip crashes and spits out the error that you’re getting.

I had the same issue here but I got it working by doing the following:
I just created a .bat File by using this in notepad
“C:\Users<Name>\AppData\Local\GRIP\GRIP.exe --port 3555”
Ran the file and it worked.