Handheld Slider PWM for Falcon

Hello CD community,

FRC 5026 would like to introduce a handheld motor driver which adapts a Milwaukee M12 battery to 12V + PWM output, perfect for plugging into Falcon 500 motors. We’ve used this over the past season to prototype mechanisms with 1 or 2 motors for intakes, outtakes, conveyers, and more! This is only one way to slice it, of course, and we’ve picked the parts to be accessible to quick freehand soldering. Please feel free to reach out with questions and comments.

IMG_7905

Shown here is powering and controlling a DC Motor + TalonSRX (what was on hand today) via PWM signal.

Please use appropriate caution regarding PWM controllers and lithium batteries if you build this!

Teensy Slider PWM for Falcon.pdf (3.4 MB)
Teensy Slider PWM for Falcon STLs R4.zip (2.1 MB)

15 Likes

These are awesome. If you’re willing to put in the time to build them and use a Milwaukee drill that uses the M12 battery pretty useful if you’ve standardized on Falcons.

We have used M12 batteries to power other robot projects. One project we are working on is a cutoff circuit when the voltage drops below a set voltage so as not to damage the batteries.
Love this application!

Make sure you don’t discharge those m12s too much.

There are lots of available cutoff circuits.

I use an m18 with a 12v converter for my projects just to have more runtime and m18 have built in protection.

1 Like

Yes. I found out the hard way that the DeWalt 20 V batteries don’t have an integrated cut-off circuit. I was using a DC-DC converter to run my old Craftsman drills using some DeWalt batteries and I left it connected over the weekend. The quiescent current of the DC-DC converter drained the DeWalt battery to the point the charger would not charge it.

Where did you find the cut-off circuits? I could make my own but would rather just buy a ready made one.

Here’s one for example: https://www.amazon.com/Undervoltage-Protection-Controller-Automatic-Under-Voltage/dp/B07QL8BMPL

I find more under “automatic battery protection”

1 Like

Yes the M12 battery packs are pretty bare bones inside. That’s part of what makes them straightforward to use here since the terminals can be reached by some standard quick connect terminals. If there are any off the shelf protection circuits for 3S Li-Ion that are the right size to fit right where the terminals are here that could be a very slick update.

For fun, we also have a version of this for DC motors using a cordless drill trigger. There are some files in the links here, but not a full BOM. I could package it more if folks are interested.

What do you use for the contact pins on the M18 batteries? It would be nice to have a little more oomph from those batteries, which we also have. Though, getting a 18V-to-12V converter that can spike up to ~40A without damage has been challenging.

I feel sorry for those poor little m12 packs if you are pulling that much current.

I doubled checked my off brand m18 battery and the terminals go straight to the battery. Beware!!

I guess I’ve been lucky so far!

A simple voltage cutoff should work.

Thanks. I’ll have a look for one suitable for my batteries tomorrow.