Handy Point Scoring Reference Chart

I created a chart to count the points earned for various combinations of stacks and total boxes. It’ll be helpful in competition for on the spot strategizing, and better strategy makes a better game for all of us. Enjoy the season!

Note: I didn’t do this, but if you want, it may be helpful to highlight the highest combo(s) in each column. This can give you a goal to achieve in round.

-Shrenik, MVRT 115

Good Luck!

robopoint.xls (55.5 KB)

robopoint.xls (55.5 KB)

are you sure you don’t want to change ‘balls’ in D1 to boxes/bins/containers? Something that will describe the objects better than ‘balls’? LOL

And Thank You very much for that! I’m sure everyone appreciates it!

thanks a lot, it will be used.

*Originally posted by Grommit *
Note: I didn’t do this, but if you want, it may be helpful to highlight the highest combo(s) in each column. This can give you a goal to achieve in round.

Determining the highest combination is easier than using the chart: half of the boxes in your zone should be in a stack.

Speaking of charts, did you notice this?

y=ax^2+bx+c

y= raw score
a=-1
x=Number of boxes in your highest stack
b=Total number of boxes on your side
c=0, 25, or 50, depending on the #of bots in the middle for you.

I’ll admit it’s not quite accurate, but that’s not my fault.

OOPS! I’m still thinking about soccer balls! Whoops! Hope that doesn’t get confusing, sorry about that.

Yep, half the boxes should be in a stack:

f(x) = n(x-n) = nx-x^2
f’(x) = n-2x = 0
x = n/2
f’’(x) = -2, therefore n/2 is a maximum.

Yeah, the ax^2+bx+c was a clever hint :-D, especially tricky because it implied that there might be a projectile, since this is a generalization of the parabolic path of a flying object…

Unfortunately the c gets messy.

Have fun with the game! Good Luck!

Do you know if boxes on their side will count as 2 boxes?

Yah, they said that boxes on their side would be 2 boxes. If you get two boxes and do it so they don’t sink into each other, that’s three. That’s what they said on the kickoff thing, at least

This thread may be helpful as well:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15850&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Just a thought

Although the kickoff said that the height counts, it just feels unlikely that one box will or should be counted as a stack of two. Two as three is plausible, and supported by the kickoff, but it just seems odd that a pox that’s just been knocked over is a stack of two. Has there been any official word on this?

Thanks.

At kickoff, they used a tall point with red rings at the different “stack heights” (first ring at height of one box flat-down, second ring at height of second perfectly meshed box, etc). If a box lands on it’s width (short side), then the length’s going to be pointed skywards, and so it’ll stick up into the 2-box height. So yeah, if you don’t have any stacks, but one box lying on its width, that’ll count as a stack of two, or atleast thats how it seems from what they showed at kickoff.