Hanging Mechanism Material

My team was looking at 2004 competition videos, and we have decided to try a technique used in one of them, but we need a material that is flexible enough to bend at least 90 degrees, and that also can suppurt a 15 lbs. hook. If any material like this exists could someone help me out and let me know what it is?

Thanks

Alex

My team was looking at 2004 competition videos, and we have decided to try a technique used in one of them. The idea is to use some sort of pole whether its fiberglass or another material, that can bend in half by bieng pulled down by a cim motor, and is released during the last 20 seconds until the hook is flush with the bar. Then we use the cim motor to retract the rope and pull ourselves up. but we need a material that is flexible enough to bend at least 90 degrees, and that also can suppurt a 15 lbs. hook. If any material like this exists could someone help me out and let me know what it is?

Thanks

Alex

Rope?

No, not rope… I think he means something flexible, but able to stand up with 15 pounds on it. We tried making a folding arm with a spring in the middle, not sure how well that will work.

I can’t give you a definite answer, and this is what I had originally suggested to my team, but I think something like steel cable should be able to do what you want. Although I also suggest you try to use something different for your hook, 15 lbs sounds a little ridiculous, you should be able to find something much lighter. Last I checked our hook device weighed less than 2 lbs, what is the reason your using something so heavy?

Basically, what you’re looking for is something that works exactly like a fishing rod does - it flexes when pulled, many can even completely double over before breaking. Yet at the same time it provides sufficient spring to snap up straight when the force is released. The key is finding a rod with the proper strength to be straight with your hook, yet flexible enough to bend over backwards.

I would suggest your search for material starts there, in an industry that has pretty much already perfected what you’re trying to do.

Even 330’s 2004 hanging device wasn’t 15 lbs… Maybe it was if you included the arm on top, and the upper stage of the lift! And that hook was solid Al, with a van door motor, a 1:1 gearbox, and a metal roller included… It was overkill, but it worked.

You’re sounding like extreme overkill. Start with a lighter hook.

See also the threads discussing stored energy during inspection period as they relate to kickers. You can understand an inspector’s trepidation at seeing a large pole bent double inside his volume-measuring box.