Happy (US) Thanksgiving Everybody!

This forum could use some positivity. What are you most thankful for this year?

Within the realm of FIRST I’m thankful for the hardworking FIRST staff, volunteers, and mentors that make the program possible. It’s changed my life in immeasurable ways for the better. I’m thankful for the mentors and students on my team who make the experience of changing the culture so much more enjoyable.

Outside of the FIRST realm I’m thankful for my fiancée and the opportunity to marry my best friend. Obviously thankful for my friends and family as well as the opportunities that are available to me thanks to everybody around me.

So what are you thankful for this year?

31 Likes

No stop build

35 Likes

I’m thankful for FIRST and for my team. I found them my freshman year and they’ve helped me tremendously. Freshman year was hard for me, not having many people by my side. My team became like a family to me, and I’m so thankful I found that.

5 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Thankful for brushless motors now becoming mainstream!

3 Likes

I’m very thankful for all the amazing people I’ve met and worked with through this program. I’ve met some of my closest friends through FIRST.

7 Likes

(using the 2020 beta RoboRIO image with WS2812 addressable LED support)

11 Likes

I’m thankful for how much I learned and grew last season with my team. I went into it not knowing a ton about CAD or scouting and have gotten a lot better since this time last season. I’m also thankful for all the good friends I’ve made through robotics since I went into it with barely any.

1 Like

I’m thankful for my friends and family who have helped me become the person I am. Also I’m thankful for IndianaFIRST for all the awesome things they have done for Indiana this last couple years!

I am truly thankful for my team:
– a dedicated team of mentors with whom I enjoy being around and sharing a meal.
– a group of student leaders who have a single purpose in mind – to make our team the best it can be.
– a group of 1st year members who are excited for being there, but have no idea why (yet).
– parents, grandparents, and friends of the team who travel with the team to distant regionals, to cheer and support the team.

2 Likes

Well a month and a half late for this but as mentioned many a time in here is the overall gratitude towards my team and the opportunity that my team forming in my grade nine year has brought to me and I will be happy to pass and document my knowledge on to the future members that are in my position.

3 Likes

I met my fiancee while we were both mentoring 5686, and we’re now mentoring 177 together. Pretty darn thankful to that team for bringing us together :smiley:

10 Likes

I’m thankful for the Lions being elite.

Wouldn’t you agree, @Akod?

3 Likes

There are no words that can express my gratitude for FIRST, which has absolutely changed my life! It has left a profound impact on me that has never faded despite the many years passed.

I’m thankful for my first (and so far only) FRC team, who welcomed a kid with no robotics experience from 10,000 miles away. There, I met my first engineers, programmers, and mentors in life, and amazing team members who showed me it was much more than robots.

A year in a FIRST Robotics team was a unique opportunity I’d never experienced growing up. When my exchange year ended, I was saddened that it was over for me. Back in 2015/16, FIRST introduced me to the world of STEM. Three years later, I realized my journey has only begun. Today, I just finished my first semester of college for engineering and couldn’t be any happier!

This year, I also had the chance to become a “mentor” for the first time and gained perspectives of the other side. I learned that I’ve been standing on the shoulders of many giants and I wouldn’t be where I am if it weren’t for them. I’m thankful to FIRST Global for the lessons and for bringing this incredible opportunity to youth across the world.

I am so grateful to be a part of the FIRST community, amid role models and heroes I look up to. Because of FIRST, I have great hope for a brighter world and look forward to growing FIRST in my community some day.

So many dreams inspired and come true, I owed them to FIRST. Excited for many more ahead! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m thankful for having an awesome group of kids that continuously reaffirm my belief in this program, and why I do what I do.

1 Like

My buddy is at the game and texted me a picture from he seat captioned “dude these seats suck, I can’t even see the FRC field from here”

1 Like

I’m thankful for my new team and everything they’ve done for me. But not only that, I’m thankful for all my teams. Because no matter what team I’m on there are others who have touched my life in such a meaningful way, and they are as much my teammates as anyone else. First has taught me that team boundaries don’t divide us. At the end of the day we are all one giant FIRST family, and if that’s not worthy of thanks I don’t know what is.

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving America, I hope that everyone is having a great time with their family while eating turkey.

1 Like

I’m thankful to work for a company that is so very generous with its employees and with charity.
I’m also thankful my co-workers are also as generous with their time, talent and treasure.

Last year I started a fundraiser called “Apple Pies for Angels”. We made a bunch of apple pies and sold them. My company’s foundation paid for all the materials and matched all the pie sales. We then used all the funds raised to “adopt” angels from the Salvation Army Angel Tree program, and buy Christmas gifts.

Last year we sold 115 pies and fulfilled the Christmas wish lists of 44 children in need. This year we stepped up our game and sold more than 260 pies, and we’re currently fulfilling the Christmas wish lists of 102 children in need.

I’m so very blessed to be surrounded by so many generous people and organizations that helped me (volunteers, kitchen facilities, discounts on materials). I’m also thankful for all of the people that volunteered to make pies and shop for kids. And lastly I’m thankful for all the people that bought pies. They’re all helping to make this the Best Christmas Ever.

2 Likes

Super thankful for JVN and his blog.
Otherwise, these would not exist for me: CD, other knowledge, the self motivation to learn more.

Besides JVN, I’m thankful for everyone i’ve met through CD and events. Here are just some:
@Threemuskets who puts up with my constant questions.
@KaranY who gave me ideas of better driving
@Brian_Maher giving us the idea of traveling to Tech Park for an opportunity to practice before events
@Damiaen_Florian for being a great mentor even though i was probably an extremely annoying kid in their pit.
@ team 20 for the programming help they provided us for the season, which enabled us to compete. Which also inspired me to become the programmer for our team.

Dean Kamen for being able to create this program.
And Woodie Flowers, for indirectly changing my lifestyle through 2 words. Gracious Professionalism.
Last but not least, My 2 hardworking mentors. They put up with me everyday through the endless hours, passing on the knowledge that they know, letting me succeed.

Update: Thank you the committee of NYCFIRST allowing 6621 to compete at NYSU. It makes a lot of difference as we travel together.

8 Likes