Has anyone built a segway?

Has anyone built a segway? I remember dean saying that it was possible to build a segway using the parts in the kit, but I havent seen anyone take on that task yet…

I want to try and make something of the sort, possibly with one wheel and no handlebars… :wink:

tenkai

A unicycle Segway? Sounds lovely.

I haven’t made one… but we’re gonna I think. With the gyro and all… same principle I guess. Just for fun. Or maybe we’re not going to. It’s possible though. You should do it.

I remember a team at the nationals who had a 4 wheel ‘Segway’ that was very crude but worked! Then again, there wasn’t any challenge to making something that’d run on 4 wheels. Nonetheless, it’d be fun to play around with.

I know a certain team in Va is building one…

About a uni-Segway…
Say you made one with one ball instead of a wheel and you stood on a platform on top of the ball. The board would fit over the top half/third of the ball and have motorized wheels between the platform and the ball (somewhat like those old-fashioned mice with balls, except the uni-Segway would motorizzed the wheels inside it) Whichever way the rider leaned, the platform would roll the ball to be under their center of gravity just like a segway does, except this would go in every direction. It would not need a steering handle, but it would move without turning the rider unless you programmed it to rotate as it rolled to make the platform face the direction that the ball was rolling. This would then require the user to get onto the uni-Segway from one direction every time and would also make strafing impossible unless you turned you body a different direction from your legs (which isn"t very hard if you ask a marching band nerd.) I would rather just have to turn to uni-Segway through inertia and friction (like how you turn a rolley chair without touching anything) and then be able to slide right and left without facing that direction (can’t you picture the military fighting with these and strafing back and forth on little balls?) It would be really cool to see someone do this, so if you want any help designing it, contact me at [email protected].

My old team, 122 The NASA Knights, is currently building one. Can’t really tell ya how far along on it they are, though I’m almost positive that they have the base complete and motors/wheels mounted. Sooner or later one of them should see this post and will be able to tell ya all about it.

~Tom Fairchild~

Sooner or later one of them should see this post and will be able to tell ya all about it

Sooner it seems :slight_smile:

Actually, we have a working segway, minus the auto-balance code. If you lean forward to balance the segway, then you can move forward. It is very slow right now, and I doubt it will ever be close to the real thing, but we have plans to use it to tow our cart … and I think that’d be a sight to see.

Anyway, maybe another team member can post pictures or something.

Stephen

My idea for the uni-wheel segway wasnt using a ball (but that is quite an intreging idea) It was to just make it with one wheel, and have it require balance on the user’s part for the side to side motion. If anyone has used a Voodoo Balance Board, you will kinda know what im talking about, but the rocking thing wouldnt be there.The way you would turn would be to go forward or backwards and lean to the right or left. Just you wait! you may see me at the NYC regionals zipping around, or racing Dean!

tenkai

*Originally posted by srawls *
Sooner it seems :slight_smile:

Actually, we have a working segway, minus the auto-balance code. If you lean forward to balance the segway, then you can move forward. It is very slow right now, and I doubt it will ever be close to the real thing, but we have plans to use it to tow our cart … and I think that’d be a sight to see.

Anyway, maybe another team member can post pictures or something.

Stephen **

Ya… I love it. ‘Minus the Auto-Balance code’ :slight_smile:

I hope you arn’t using a standard robot computer. I think that it would be impossible in PBASIC. A lot easier in C. (Well… still hard as heck, but still easier that PB.)

I’m trying to think. How would the program decide if the user is leaning forward, and thus wants to go forward, or if the unit is ‘falling’ forward and the user wants to stay still. I remember seeing Dean at the 2002 kick off standing on a ramp. The segway would go up…&…down…up…&…down. Pretty funny. I think that they improved the code, because as i remember, when i saw if again on a ramp, it didn’t move at all.

*Originally posted by Jack *

I hope you arn’t using a standard robot computer. I think that it would be impossible in PBASIC. A lot easier in C. (Well… still hard as heck, but still easier that PB.)

I’m trying to think. How would the program decide if the user is leaning forward, and thus wants to go forward, or if the unit is ‘falling’ forward and the user wants to stay still. I remember seeing Dean at the 2002 kick off standing on a ramp. The segway would go up…&…down…up…&…down. Pretty funny. I think that they improved the code, because as i remember, when i saw if again on a ramp, it didn’t move at all. **

They have improved the code. I was able to ride a segway only a couple months after they came out. Then I rode one this summer. When I rode it the first time it would kinda shake if you wanted to stay still. Then this summer when I rode it it was smoooooth.

The model I rode was the I-Series

I have been working on my own sort of mini-segway. It won’t actually carry anyone (except perhaps a small rodent) but it will still be very cool. Im using an OOPic as the controller and a model helicopter piezo gyro for balancing. Eventually it should be able to drive around autonomously. The project has been stalled recently for lack of machine tools to build the chassis, but it looks like I will be able to use our school’s CNC Bridgeport very soon. If it is ready in time I will bring it to the Pacific Northwest Regional and (hopefully :slight_smile: nationals to show off.

**Ya… I love it. ‘Minus the Auto-Balance code’ :slight_smile:

I hope you arn’t using a standard robot computer. I think that it would be impossible in PBASIC. A lot easier in C. (Well… still hard as heck, but still easier that PB.)**

There’s no computer on it as of right now (it is really hard to stay on for any good amount of time). It can just move back and forth OR spin in a circle… We still haven’t found a good 4-way switch or small joystick we can use. Any ideas?

I’m trying to think. How would the program decide if the user is leaning forward, and thus wants to go forward, or if the unit is ‘falling’ forward and the user wants to stay still. I remember seeing Dean at the 2002 kick off standing on a ramp. The segway would go up…&…down…up…&…down. Pretty funny. I think that they improved the code, because as i remember, when i saw if again on a ramp, it didn’t move at all. **

It wouldnt have to decide if it was leaning forward or falling. The effect produced is the same in either case. If it is falling forward, then the Segway will move forward to compensate, and balance the machine. If the driver was leaning forward, then it would move forward to compensate as well, but the weight of the person would keep it leaning forward,and hence, keep it moving forward.

Oh, BTW. Go take two wheels and a platform and set them up like the Segway, see if you can stand on it. Check out this short vid of one of our mentors balancing on it.

http://members.cox.net/johcagaorl/daveonsegthing.gif

*Originally posted by Johca_Gaorl *
**Oh, BTW. Go take two wheels and a platform and set them up like the Segway, see if you can stand on it. Check out this short vid of one of our mentors balancing on it.

http://members.cox.net/johcagaorl/daveonsegthing.gif **

Is he balancing or is the device balancing for him

*Originally posted by MattK *
**Is he balancing or is the device balancing for him **

He is balancing.

He is balancing. **

O well whats the point of that?

1. To show off our nice engineering (though it doesn’t balance, it’s still pretty cool)
  2. You notice he goes back and forth. It is surprisingly hard to keep the thing balanced while going in one direction for any significant period of time.

Summation: Dean Kamen is a genius. You don’t realize how brilliant the Segway is until you try to do it yourself without computer help.

**1) To show off our nice engineering (though it doesn’t balance, it’s still pretty cool)
2) You notice he goes back and forth. It is surprisingly hard to keep the thing balanced while going in one direction for any significant period of time.

Summation: Dean Kamen is a genius. You don’t realize how brilliant the Segway is until you try to do it yourself without computer help. **

O, I totaly agree. I dont expect a FIRST team to be able to develope a segway, it would be so increadably hard! I just got really really exited!

Dean Kamen is a genius. You don’t realize how brilliant the Segway is until you try to do it yourself without computer help.

Although I have not personally tried to balance on that device without a computer, just from looking at the segway I am not particularly impressed. Considering the center of gravity is below the center of the wheels it will naturally balance even without motors. Granted it would be foolish engineering to do otherwise, since it would be more likly to tip over; but I’m still a little disappointed.