Has anyone's schools cancelled their trips?

Because of the upcoming war on Iraq, the superintendent of the school board in my town has to make a decision on whether our team will be going to nationals.:frowning: were gona try as hard as we can to make him let us go because we did alot of fundrasing and a lot of work over the year and during the build to get there. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem?

*Originally posted by CyberKnights182 *
**Because of the upcoming war on Iraq, the superintendent of the school board in my town has to make a decision on whether our team will be going to nationals.:frowning: **

So far so good. We have no money for nationals, if we win at LA Regional, those going have to pay for themselves. School district knows what we’re up to and haven’t said nay.

yes our superintendent has cancelled all trips that cannot be refunded. fortunately, our team has made all reservations for Nationals, and we did go to the AZ regional this past weekend. our school district is the 6th largest in the country (Clark County School District), it serves the Las Vegas, NV area. My sister’s 8th grade band trip to Los Angeles and Disnleyland has been canceled. i think the school districts are getting way out of hand, good luck with yours.

• Dave

2003 AZ Regional Semifinalist w/ teams 696 and 222
2003 AZ Regional Xerox Creativity Award
2002 Highest Rookie Seed Award - Championships 5th seed, Einstein Division

my school (sachem) is up there with the biggest and they are allowing us to go on all planned trips, senior trip to dc the weekend before nats hasn’t even been cancelled.

Well so far none of the schools that make up RAGE have cancelled our trips. But this is only until this weekend at Long Island. SO hopefully we will still need their permission for Nationals which has been approved but still has to be approved if we do go to war.

Smithtown School District just cancelled 810’s trip to San Jose, CA., apparently.

Way to go.

Whatever happened to carrying on with our normal lives?

I can’t see any reason to cancel trips.

Air travel is no more dangous now then it was 2 weeks ago and won’t be any more so next month.

I mean, come on, whats the point?

Thank god my team isn’t involved with any school.

-Andy A.

If my trip gets cancelled, there’ll be a 5-seater car driven by me to Houston. I’ll pick up anyone who wants to go :stuck_out_tongue:

*Originally posted by evulish *
**If my trip gets cancelled, there’ll be a 5-seater car driven by me to Houston. I’ll pick up anyone who wants to go :stuck_out_tongue: **

http://www.redheadjokes.com/gifs/hand.gif

yea…we’re having the same problem. Our superintendent has cancelled all trips outside long island. We have paid everything in full and have all the reservations down. Its not fair at all.

So far our superintendent is all about having us go and compete at nats. If the school board wishes to forbid it than i will “get sick” and not come to school.

So far at our school, our school board hasent had much contact with the team. I dont exactly see how they could cancel a trip, especialy if it cant be refunded. I hope no one tries to sue their school, that would be odd. I hope everyone out there who are being restricted finds some way around it! FedEx can always handel large frieght… lol

*Originally posted by Andy A. *
**Thank god my team isn’t involved with any school.

-Andy A. **

Isn’t that one of the rules of FIRST, that you have to be involved with a school??? … :ahh:

Please explain. I am confused.

But I don’t think our school system can cancel ANY of our trips, because they are NOT connected to the district, not district-funded, and they have NO control over the robotics team.

So, I’m lucky!

So far we are still going…I hope it stays that way

*Originally posted by M. Krass *
**Smithtown School District just cancelled 810’s trip to San Jose, CA., apparently.

Way to go.

Whatever happened to carrying on with our normal lives? **

YA what did happend to that? As far as I know, our high school hasn’t even thought of it yet. If they do though I still have my own plane tickets. Wonder if FIRST will let alumni drive the bot???

team hammond is still going to everything, but now i think we’re being bussed to houston… although i hope not, because our non-refundable plane tickets are paid for, and the bus will be $10,000 more for us to have to come up with… poo on that… :mad: ::sigh:: i wonder when they’ll realize that if anything, our airports are SAFER now than they were last year…

Since our school district seems to be one of the first to make rash responses, we may get our trip canceled. We’re crossing our fingers, but if they do pull something on us, our drive team is going to call in sick and take a road trip to Houston with anyone else interested.

Rumor says that Henrico might cancel all travel plans for trips is war starts, which makes no sense. Not only did we work our way to Nationals this year, we are now being stopped by the same school board that used us to get more FIRST teams? We are working with our school principal right now to get us to go since this is a small group of kids (20 instead of 200 for the chorus trip) to go. Things arn’t looking good now. I fear that this idea of canceling of trips is just pre-war jitters and soothing those PTA parents who whine 24/7 rather than a true fear for their students.

Team 522, The Robo Wizards, from S.I. N.Y, has just cancelled our trip to the Canadian Regionals, and has re-registered to play Philadelphia. Just in case our trip gets cancelled we decided on not leaving the country, and taking a bus to Philly, pretty much assuring us two regionals (N.Y.C.) instead of taking a chance and only playing one. We’ll cya in N.Y, and Philly!!!