Help installing WPILib

Hi, I was trying to install WPILib for Windows 10 64 bit, but I encountered an error. I think the error occurs because there is no “.gradle” folder, but I have no idea how to get it.
Here is the error:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘C:\Users\User\ .gradle\wrapper\dists\gradle-7.3.3-bin\6a41zxkdtcxs8rphpq6y0069z’ is denied.
at System.IO.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(String fullPath, Byte[] securityDescriptor)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at WPILibInstaller.ViewModels.InstallPageViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass40_1.b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop(Thread threadPoolThread, ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
— End of stack trace from previous location —
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot, Thread threadPoolThread)
— End of stack trace from previous location —
at WPILibInstaller.ViewModels.InstallPageViewModel.InstallEverything(CancellationToken token)
at WPILibInstaller.ViewModels.InstallPageViewModel.RunInstall()
at WPILibInstaller.ViewModels.InstallPageViewModel.<>c__DisplayClass24_0.<<-ctor>g__installFunc|0>d.MoveNext()

The “access denied” suggests to me that running as administrator might fix it–have you tried that?

Yes, I tried running as administrator.

I assume you already tried a reboot. Sometimes something grabs access. Also, if you have any 3rd party antiviruses (anything besides Windows Defender), go ahead and disable those.

4 Likes

What is the user name of the account you are installing on?

Don’t know if you were installing for ‘current user’ or ‘all users’ . Unless there is a need for all users try just current user.

I got it working, thanks.
I used task manager to end all unnecessary tasks, including McAfee, and figured out how to install it as an administrator.

2 Likes

Unrelated tangent: For future reference. Nearly all Antiviruses use the same databases and technologies.

In my not-professional opinion, their all junk and computer literacy saves vulnerable people more than AV.

1 Like

Indeed, and these days Defender is surprisingly robust on its own! Though I do still recommend MalwareBytes to those who still want an additional AV. While you of course can still run into these sorts of issues, I have found false positive blocks/errors to happen less commonly, especially compared to Norton and McAfee which are practically malware themselves in my opinion.

• I am a cyber security professional, though Desktop/Workstation AV is certainly not my area of expertise.