Help-need internet advice

Ok, all you smart people out there…
(My technical advisor (husband) is in China)
I cannot access usfirst.org on any of the computers in my house. This started about a week ago. Every other internet site I have tried has worked fine. Happens in both IE and Firefox.
We have satellite.
Any ideas where to start?

What error are you getting? I haven’t been able to get on the FIRST site since about right before regionals and I get the following error:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.usfirst.org is taking too long to respond.

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
      moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
      connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
      that Firefox is permitted to access the Web

The FIRST site is horrifyingly slow… maybe it lags out over the satellite connection?

I get the same message on Firefox.
on IE I get:
CANNOT FIND: “www.usfirst.org

It’s been an interesting week. So it’s not just me :yikes:
Let’s try to figure this out.

So I haven’t been the only one with problems after all. Sometimes when it finishes loading, I only have the bar at the top. Then most of the time I have broken jpegs such as the ones on the right (whatever they are :smiley: )

Hmmm… I haven’t had any problems… and I’ve been on the site for the past few days…

I don’t like the new site at all. It’s horribly slow (is that the carrier, or the size of the site), and takes EVEN LONGER to load on slower connections. Not to mention it is nearly impossible to find anything.

Jacob

Try this
http://155.212.10.234/

If you are having problems finding things on the site And the search engine doesn’t help either, try to Google search it using Site:www.usfirst.org and your keyword. If you still can’t locate it, let the webmasters know by completing the feedback form. As someone who maintains websites for a living, it’s incredibly frustrating to hear complaints about our sites when no one took the time to point out the problems they are having.

Yeah, I know… It’s just compared to the old site, everything is kind of ‘hidden’… I liked the old site, but I guess I’m not a potential sponsor or a member of the media. The new site is definitely more attractive and informational in that sense.

I didn’t mean to dis the admins of the site or the site designers. It just is…different than the old site.

Jacob

That almost sounds like you are having a DNS issue with your internet provider, since usfirst.org won’t load in either of your browsers. If you use John’s approach by using just the IP address and it works that way, then it’s almost definitely a DNS issue. To fix the issue, you may want to check out this website:

John-I get the same message:

The connection has timed out

The server at 155.212.10.234 is taking too long to respond.

*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
      moments.

*   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
      connection.

*   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
      that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.