HELP NEEDED using CAD library

I am trying to model our motor mounts, but when I import bearings, motors, etc. from the FIRST CAD library, the come out really small (for example, a bearing that should have an OD of 5/8" has an OD of .0344". I’ve tried telling Inventor that the drawing is in Inches, mm, cm, and meters, but it always comes out the same size, as .0344". Any help or suggestions?

What CAD app are you using and what version of the model are you importing?

I was asleep when I made my first response … too much on the brain right now …

I see your using Inventor.

The concept of “Importing” an Inventor file while using Inventor is what’s throwing me.

If you download an Inventor file, unzip it, and double click in the .iam or .ipt file does it not have reasonable dimensions?

If your still having this problem, email the name of one model that gives you trouble so I can test the very same model.

Also I will be online Thursday & Friday evenings (drawing parts) if you want to aim me (FirstRoboMan).

:wink:

When downloading the files from the library, use the link INV, its actually inventor files, you may be using the DWG one…

Forgive me if I insult you, but its an easy mistake to make, hell ive done it.

OK. I was looking for IAW, IPT, IAM, or one of the other inventor formats. Silly me. Thanks. Now if I could only find a CAD file for the Chiaphua gear…

Sorry about the confusion.

I had to pick something like INV because Inventor models can a single part (.ipt) or a collection of parts in an assembly (.iam). Since the library contaings both file types, I had to pick something neutral.

Guess I should put a little info on the home page to explain the file types.

Thanks Jordan for the feedback :slight_smile:

Where can the models of the kit of parts be found for inventor?

hehe, thanks in advance…

Here : FIRST CAD Library

:slight_smile:

*Originally posted by dense *
**Where can the models of the kit of parts be found for inventor?

hehe, thanks in advance… **

Keep note that this is not the official “Virtual kit of parts” that FIRST refers to, but a website of parts in CAD that Ed Sparks has graciously created through the years.

The official “Virtual Kit of Parts” is still elusive and is something you (have to/ had to) register for. I still have no clue where that is!:frowning:

*Originally posted by Elgin Clock *
The official “Virtual Kit of Parts” is still elusive and is something you (have to/ had to) register for. I still have no clue where that is!:frowning: **

You can register for (and then download) the Virtual Kits of Parts at Autodesk Streamline.
I downloaded it and am somewhat dissappointed. There are not too many designs included (altogether 25), so that I had to download some at FirstCADlibrary (which I, by the way, think is great). The parts themselves are designed really well, though.
I hope that helps.

Jan