Help! onshape parts will no longer move in an assembly?

We were 98% done with a robot prototype when we lost the ability to move the parts in an assembly to create the final robot design. Everything is fastened mated as far as we can tell. This is our very first Onshape student project.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/939328a0518b2e25e2f15e00/w/5cc8dcfe4f7869eb5b7f49d5/e/96393f2ca2e9667c36627ba2

We’ve grouped the side parts as a group mate, and it is moving again, however, can anyone tell me why the document broke in the first place? (This is the second time this has happened to us in this build!)

Were the side parts mated at all, to anything, before you group-mated them? Just a shot in the dark, but if you had a large number of unconstrained parts, it’s possible the assembly appeared to stop moving when in reality it was just reeeally laggy and bogged down by the high level of complexity. Maybe a set of group-mated parts is less computationally-intensive for OnShape to track and update than a ton of individual, unconstrained parts? Just a wild guess though.

You could also try submitting the question to OnShape Help, I’ve always found them friendly and responsive and they might be able to tell you what’s going on.

You have broken mates in the Intake assembly studio and broken instance references in the Wheel assembly studio. Clean up the red stuff (errors) and I bet your top-level assembly figures itself out.

Onshape is confused. In the wheel assembly, you appear to be referencing instances of a “screw” part that is no longer there. Those instances are red on the left because Onshape is mad - “where are the screws?!”. You’ve pulled that wheel assembly into a main assembly, and Onshape still won’t do what you want, not because it can’t, but because it’s still wondering where the heck those screws are.

6 Likes

Thanks for your quick reply! We tried some of your suggestions, broke it again a couple of times, and then got it to work again. We’re just inexperienced–but in good shape at the moment! Thanks again! – 16156 R-cubed FTC

Thanks for your quick reply! We re-built with your advice, it broke again a couple of times, and then we got it to work again. We’re just inexperienced–but in good shape at the moment! Thanks again! – 16156 R-cubed FTC