HELP! (Putting music in the animation)

We are having some major problems putting our music into the animation on 3dsMax. We have the sound both as a WAV and an AVI file and it doesn’t work either time. We followed the tutorial instructions perfectly and we can never get it to work, we either get error messages or no sound. a cookie to whoever helps us solve our problem

thanks
THE BEAST
team 241
the Pinkerton Astros

Not sure what the tutorial says, but this has always worked for me:

1. Open the Curve Editor.
  2. Scroll down to “Sound”
  3. Expand that.
  4. Right click, and select “Properties”
  5. Click on “Choose Sound”

It should then put it in. I am not sure if this has changed on Max8, as I am using 7.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7602/soudn8bt.jpg

thats what we did and it didnt work! anyclue why? its the correct file type and all we dont know why we cant get a single song to work they all get a “Can’t open file or file has no audio streams” message everytime

Somebody? Anybody? WE NEED HELP!!!

We are having some major problems putting our music into the animation on 3dsMax. We have the sound both as a WAV and an AVI file and it doesn’t work either time. We followed the tutorial instructions perfectly and we can never get it to work, we either get error messages or no sound. a cookie to whoever helps us solve our problem

thanks
THE BEAST
team 241
the Pinkerton Astros

Why isn’t anybody posting here?!

Perhaps because it’s been less than two hours since the first post, or perhaps it’s because the problem hasn’t been sufficiently detailed.

I don’t know the first thing about 3dsMax, but I do have a question: how do you know your file is in the proper format?

The thing about nobody posting was because we need help badly…

our file is in .wav or .avi format

Doo you use any video editing progams like Adobe Premiere?

i would suggest using adobe premiere to add music, but if you are doing lipsincing or something like that, then use 3ds max. Also, try to use an .mp3 instead of a .wav or an .avi.

I don’t
Its expensive. This is what i did. Download Avid Free DV Here and install it. It’s free and works great. (Takes some time to learn but…) If you want REALLY good free results, try and open source program called Jahshaka. You can get it here. I decided to forgoe using Jahshaka myself because it takes ALOT of time to figure out. I do know it will get you results though.
Good Luck! :wink:

if you are not afraid to lose a little quality, import the animation into windows movie maker. thenyou can use that to add sound. it has a really easy to use interface and is simple. only problem is that it will not export to quicktime, so you need a converter.

I really am not the video editing guy. i do MAX stuff, then give the video and sound to Dave to compile. he’s got all the crazy fix-stuff programs.

Using an outside editor is probably the easiest way to add audio to your animation. As Ed said, Adobe Premiere is an excellent product and I believe there are free trial versions floating around of it.

Chill out guys, you still have some time.

Screams in terror
How dare you mention WMM2!
It’s the plague that ol’ Black Death wouldn’t touch.
Put simply: It’s not accurate, It won’t take MPEG format, it doesn’t have any audio editing capabilities…
Don’t use it. it’s Ok for some home videos, but for a 3D animation where sound acuracy is everything…Never.

actually- thats isn’t the problem Ur facing - its the format Ur audio file is in! i know u might say its in wav or something but 3ds Max really needs pcm!! now if u don’t know what pcm is, its a format in wav files- to check if Ur file is pcm- right click on ur file and go to properties then summary, it should tell u your format for the wav files there is a couple i think.
now, i think there are more than one format that max accepts, i only know this from experience 3 days ago, i have converted my soundtrack for my animation more than 50 times with adobe audition to get it to work in my for animation per bit.*

Google for more info- thats what i do!!!

Yes bad captin! very bad! never mention WMM2!

never had problems with it, and yes, i said that it does not support the right formats.

honestly, i never really got why everyone avoids windows stuff like the plague. i know it’s not the best, but it work for the stuff most people do. IMO.

so is there no way to do it with out getting outside softwear? because our school thinks any softwear we put on the computer will summon satan and destsroy everything and we dont want to have to go threw it IT guy again like we had to do to convince him that we HAD TO download the streamline client to put the paperwork and such online

IT guy = b******

…I dislike baseless fears with a PASSION!!

our school blocked our ablitly to check the property summary…

they block everything, cant even bring up task manger or use the search to find ur files on the computer