Help with Cheesy Parts on Openshift

Hi I was wondering anyone could help me with running cheesy parts for my team. we are using currently using openshift to run the site and have git pushed all the code onto the server. just wondering how exactly do you start cheesy parts when its on the server. I attached my config.ru and any advice to get this operation running would help!

config for openshift.docx (9.02 KB)

config for openshift.docx (9.02 KB)

We are not using Openshift, but went through a lot of trial and error when the original release was made last year. Our biggest problem was understanding the Ruby protocol and how to use it.

The only thing that you have to change from the published code is the config/environment.rb file. You basically need to change all the info inside this environment file to match your server, database, and URL settings. This is what took us the longest to figure out. We were attempting to change the wrong file for a while. There is also a way to run your own local copy.

Once you have the config/environment.rb file changed, upload all the contents to a folder on your server. Change your directory to the folder you just uploaded everything to and then follow the commands in the read me file. Start with bundle install. This installs all the gem files necessary for Cheesy Parts to run. Then do the remaining two steps of migrating and starting.

Also, Pat Fairbank was extremely helpful when we were trying to figure this out. Let me know if this helps or if I misunderstood your question.

So our rake and environment files have been calibrated for the server’s mysql log in. But our trouble is on understanding how what the SSH deployment is in the ReadMe and how we can run it on our openshift server. Sorry if this was not clear in the beginning

The fezzik script is used to automatically send over all the necessary files for Cheesy Parts to the remote server, then start the application. Running “bundle exec fez prod deploy” on your computer will set up Cheesy Parts on the remote server.

You’ll need the SSH key for the openshift server in order for the script to work. The fezzik script uses rsync to move files between the computers using ssh public key encryption. If you can already ssh in to the server, you should have your key, username, and server address, so you should be all set.

The other thing that you may need to be careful of is the mysql server host address. It is likely that it will not be running on the same system as your application is, so it could have a separate ip address. I believe that running "show variables where variable_name = ‘hostname’ " in mysql will give you the hostname of the mysql server.

Thanks Jared!

One slight issue I have is that I get this error:
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic).
[fail]

Whenever I try to run the code “bundle exec fez prod deploy.” to my understanding its because of my SSH key. Any help would be appreciated