Help with Spark Max Motor Controller issue

Hello everyone, we are having a major issue with our spark max motor controllers. The can bus is correct as well as the wiring but, when we go to test several motor controllers in REV hardware client it is not working at all. We have the current version of the update and we were wondering if it is just a bug in the program or if it is our motor controllers.

For safety reasons you cant have a sparkmax connected to can and controlled with the rev hardware client at the same time. Disconnect the sparkmax from the can bus and then use the client. Or just write code for it.

We tried both things to no luck. My code has no affect to run the motor as well as the rev hardware client when the can bus is disconnected from it.

Make sure that the SparkMax is getting power.

Also check these Status LED Patterns - SPARK MAX

when it has power it is blinking a magenta purple. I’m confused on why it wouldn’t be getting signal. The color that it shows is that it’s not getting signal.

Magenta purple can be seen when it isn’t plugged into a motor. Is it plugged in correctly? What motors are you using? What mode did you select?

We put together some troubleshooting tips that may help narrow down what is happening. It is often a simple fix, you just need to eliminate some variables.

The most common “no signal” causes I’ve seen are:

• Code issues (wrong CAN IDs, no objects created, etc.)
  • Robot is disabled
  • Wiring issues
  • CAN Lockout - after the MAX has seen a roboRIO, it can’t be commanded to run from the Hardware Client until it is disconnected from the roboRIO and power-cycled.

It turned out to be a simple wiring issue in the fact that the wire was cracked and broken on the inside, this was solved when we replaced the issue, thank you for the help!

It turned out to be a simple wiring issue in the fact that the wire was cracked and broken on the inside, this was solved when we replaced the issue, thank you for the assistance!

1 Like

Can you post a photo showing how the wire was damaged? Had the wire been soldered at the end where the break occurred?