Here's one for the math geeks :)

At another message board I visit (CProgramming.com), there was a thread I glanced over (here), and got me thinking, what is the answer?

The question is: What does 0 raised to the 0 power equal?

By the rule of exponents, the answer would be one, but 0 times any amount of 0’s is 0. Can someone please clear this up?

I’d say it’d fall under the rules of exponents, in which case it’d be 1. But another way to look at it is (0^1)/(0^1) (which by definition is 0^(1-1) which equals 0^0). This would be 0/0, in which case it’s undefined. My calculator says 1, so take that for what it’s worth. I can’t think of any reason it’d be 0 though.

I consider this problem to fall under the rule of exponents, which states anything to the zero power is equal to one. Anything from a number to a complex equation all raised to the zero power is equal to one. So following this rule and checking it with my calculator, 0^0 is equal to one.

It’s definitely 1 :wink: I agree with many of the statements here: http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10005.3-5.shtml

While it’s true that multiplying zero by itself any number of times will give you zero, in this case you’re not multiplying zero by itself any number of times. since the exponent is zero, you’re not multiplying it by itself at all. It’s just 1.

*math isn’t really just for geeks, ARE THEY???NANCIENANCIE_47 :yikes:

lol…nope.

Suprisingly, no one has gotten the answer right. Don’t feel bad though, I forgot about a major part of the exponent rule (I think it’s from that anyways).

If no one gets it right by ~7.5 PM -5 GMT tonight, I’ll post the answer.

<<Edit>>:

Some people have gotten it right. Now…try and guess which :smiley: (It’d be either undefined, 0, or 1)

Ok, for all that want the answer…here it is…

dramatic drum roll some more drum roll, and now a guitar solo for kicks

The answer…shall be…UNDEFINED!!!

The rule of exponents (I believe, I know this is true, dunno from what though) state that no exponent shall have a base that is equal to zero. If you have a graphing calculator (prefer. a TI series 83 and up), just put in “0^0” w/o quotes, and you should get an error. If you tried this while using Windows calc., or some other O/S calc., then you’d get one, because the program probably uses a exponent function which only does basically figuring (IE: It doesn’t see it as “0 can not be a base”, it sees it as “0 raised to the 0 power equals zero”).

Ok, enough rambling, I hope you all enjoyed this brain teaser.

[quote=Raven_Writer]The rule of exponents (I believe, I know this is true, dunno from what though) state that no exponent shall have a base that is equal to zero.

**its defently undefined. we are learning about this in calculus
anything zeros is undefenined 0/0 0^0 its also the same with infinity and those
2 mix matched

edit*** i didnt see the answer before i did this

0*0 is most defnitely 0, and for 0/0, L’Hopital’s rule should be applied.

Do you have a reference? Electronic calculators aren’t exactly known for their mathematical insight and understanding of fundamental ideas.[/quote]

Not off hand. I learned it in Math class last year & a refresher this year. You can probably ask any GOOD math teacher that knows this stuff, and s/he’ll probably tell you it’d be undefined (unless it works in the imaginary system, doubt it highly though)