Hex key sizes

Posted by Danielle at 02/23/2001 5:16 PM EST

Student from MIT.

Hi,

My team is looking for the corresponding sizes for hex keys and their bolts. Can anyone tell me where to look?

Also, where can I find tool charts online?

Thanks!
Danielle

Posted by Ken Leung at 02/24/2001 9:20 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Hex key sizes
Posted by Danielle on 02/23/2001 5:16 PM EST:

I don’t think I quite understand your question…
Usually Hex keys (allen wrench) are for set screws or socket-headed screws… Is that what you are asking?

You might as well go to your local hardware store and test out which hex key will fit.

About tool charts, I found a good place for them.

In www.shoptools.com under “resource”, there are couple of charts you might be interested in.

Posted by Lloyd Burns at 02/25/2001 7:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #188, Woburn Robotics, from Woburn Collegiate and TorDistSchoolBrd, ScotiaBank. OntPwrGen, Enbridge.

If your team is soooo organized :slight_smile: that you can find hex keys by size (and not by wrapping coloured tape around the most often used ones), the keys go up in step with the size of the screw / bolt.

If you’re that organized, you probably use a certain few fastener zizes: learn what key sizes go in two screw sizes figure the difference per screw size, and you’ll have the lot: figure an adjustment from say the series for capscrews, to find say the series for set screws. (Unfortunately, the size changes with the type of screw - the 4-40 capscrews I was using used a key that in my index was three sizes LARGER than the 6-32 headless set screw.)

: Hi,

: My team is looking for the corresponding sizes for hex keys and their bolts. Can anyone tell me where to look?

: Also, where can I find tool charts online?

: Thanks!
: Danielle

Posted by Jim Meyer at 02/26/2001 10:05 AM EST

Engineer on team #67, HOT Team, from Huron Valley Schools and GM Milford Proving Ground.

: My team is looking for the corresponding sizes for hex keys and their bolts. Can anyone tell me where to look?

I have a 9.5" X 9.5" “Universal Reference Calculator” made by TAD Products Corp. One of the dimensions it shows is the alan wrench size for socket and button head standard screws. They do not appear to have a web site I put their address and phone number below.

I use this irreplacible guide for designing parts on the tube. It has all of the information you need like counterbore depths and diameters for all of the screw sizes, and much, much more. It even has stuff like clearance for open end wrenches and socket wrenches.

If I remember right, they are pretty costly.

TAD Products Corp.
P.O. Box 25
Beverly MA 01915
(508) 927-3555